Grasshopper 218 drive problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by OldPhart, Jun 14, 2008.

1. OldPhart

OldPhart LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I just purchased a used (maybe a 2004) Grasshopper 218, it has a brand new Kohler 18 horse motor and the rest of the machine has 830 hours on it. I've only used it about 4 times since I bought it and today the right drive doesn't seem to want to work in forward. It worked fine for an hour or so then it started making a racheting noise from the right wheel motor it seemed. Reverse worked fine but forward on the right wheel motor only isn't working right all the time. It is intermittent also. It screws up and then is fine for half an hour or so and then it starts the noise again. When it makes the noise it kind of locks the right wheel. So, when making a racheting noise the wheel is stuttering forward. Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance for any ideas.
    The "OldPhart"

2. slapshotat90

slapshotat90 LawnSite Member

Is it a metallic sound? Check the hydraulic oil filter for particulate. If theres any debris, change the filter and replace the oil. Also check the oil for bubbles. It could be cavitating. If its a gear motor, there could be a tooth broken.

3. OldPhart

OldPhart LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Thanks for the reply. I think it's a G1 drive system. After running fine for 30 - 45 minutes, it sounds like it's maybe skipping teeth one at a time or something in a bind really bad. Real jerky like. It'll do this for a few minutes and then go back to normal running for a while and then back to the jerky stuff again. It's not predictable at all. I can't get ahold of the dealer I bought it from until tomorrow(Tuesday). I've had it less than 30 days. I just hope he'll fix it.

4. slapshotat90

slapshotat90 LawnSite Member

Once the drive starts skipping, will going in reverse, then driving forwards fix the problem?

5. OldPhart

OldPhart LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Sometimes but not always...

6. OldPhart

OldPhart LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Problem solved. I took the rear wheel off today and low and behold, the brake caliper had come loose and was getting jambed up in the inside of the wheel... Go figure. Thanks for the replys.