1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Grasshopper 220 what do you think?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Bulldog26, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Bulldog26

Bulldog26 LawnSite Member

I have the chance to buy a used Grasshopper 220, two years old with 663hrs. 61" deck, bagger, four new tires, grips and just tuned up for $6500. Now cash, exchange for mowing over the next 1-2 years.
    I have never been on a GH. How good is the cut, ride, power, slopes, and striping? I know this is a popular machine in this area I was told by one person that it's not a good finish mower. Thanks for any help!
  2. davhul

davhul LawnSite Member
    from Gray,Ga

I have a grasshopper 327 and I like it no problems and I have 928 hours on it.
    But that sounds a little much for a 220.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Price is way to high,also under powered.
  4. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I am a Grasshopper dealer. I would love for you to move up to a Grasshopper, but i do not think this is a very good deal for you. The 220 only has 20hp, and in my opinion, that is not enough power for the 61" deck. Add to that, the power it takes to run the blower, and you have a really underpowered machine.
    The price is also way too high. That machine, new, cost less than they are asking for it now. Even adding in the cost of the bagger, (I am assuming one of the smaller ones), it could not have cost much more than they want now.
    The bottom line, I would not make the deal. It is underpowered, and the actual value, in my opinion, is probably about $4800.00, tops.
  5. Redneckn

Redneckn LawnSite Senior Member

A Grasshopper is a great mower for a home owner or somebody with not a lot of accounts. I agree with the rest that it's underpowered and way too much cash.

I love the way the drive and cut, but from seeing the condition of them when they come into the shop, I wouldnt use for but for my own yard. I'm sure a lot of that would depend on the type of ground you have and grass. In Louisiana, it's almost always damp and the soil is either sticky or sandy (in the hills) and it just seems to beat Grasshoppers up. I guess if I was gonna have one, it would have to have the little Kubota oil burner on it.
  6. flman

flman LawnSite Member

I'm new to post on here but have been an observer of this site for a while.
    Just to help out a little bit on this subject. The Grasshopper is a superior mower,very easy to service,the company is family owned and still cares about the end user unlike other companies.It's not just another paint job mower. Anyhow, back to the subject of your deal. Don't buy it,it's to high. Down here you can buy the 2006 223-52 for $6999.99, pro filter system,fans on pumps etc.. Just my 2-cents hope this helps but that seller needs a reality check. Mowingman sounds like he hit the nail on the head for price.Good luck!
  7. Bulldog26

It has the 23hp kolar on it. Is this still underpowered? I have not seen the bagger yet, but I was under the impression it has an assist/motor. I contacted the local GH dealer and he gave me to price. He told me the machine by it's self should go for upper 5's. Please let me know what you think. Thanks for all the information.
  8. Bulldog26

Are you taking into consideration the bagger? I know the bagger new runs $1800-$2000.
  9. flman

flman LawnSite Member

Save your money and buy the 27hp for bagging.::)
  10. flman

flman LawnSite Member

Twin bag complete sells for $1500.00 new. So add another 500.00 maybe for used.