1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Grasshopper 220

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JLong, Dec 29, 2007.

1. JLong

JLong LawnSite Member

I have been shopping for a new mower since the end of the mowing season. I have a growing commercial mowing company that mainly does residential accounts. I ran across a 220 w/ a 52" deck for 4,000 and only 200 hours. It sounded like a decent deal utill i did a little research. from what I found on this site there are mixed reviews fo the 20hp motor powering the 52" deck, and some claimed that it was not a "commercial" machine.
    My questions:

* is it built to commercial standards???

* What would guys say is a reasonable price for this machine???

* how would it compare to a JD 717A the other machine I was looking at with a 19hp and 48"

2. TomberLawn

TomberLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Without any actual experience using a Grasshopper, but based on what I've researched and seen at the local dealer, that sounds like a good machine for a good price. The 200 series is commercial equipment, and it will last a good long while. Grasshoppers are known for durability.
    Is this machine at Carrico Implement? I just did a Google search for a Grasshopper 220 and found this on TractorHouse.com. The pictures look good. I like it better than a JD717A, mainly because of where the operator controls are--on the fender, not under the seat. Plus, Grasshoppers look really good!
    I would buy that mower for that price if I needed it and it was local. As for the price, I just found a 220 in Ohio with 210 hrs asking $5600.
  3. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I started out with a 220 Grasshopper. I think they are a fine little ZTR but I always wanted more power, it always had a hard time in the thick grass in Spring. Not great on hills at all, scared the *&%$ out of me a few times. But all in all a good machine. Not productive enough for the large, overgrown, lush lots that I deal with but for smaller property's I don't see a problem. The Grasshopper deck clumped a little more than other brands that I used, probably due to the fact that it recycled grass into small clippings but left a great cut.
  4. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

I'd say that $ 4,000 sounds like a pretty good price !!