Grasshopper 227 61" loss of power

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by mnicholsjr, Apr 30, 2014.

1. mnicholsjr

mnicholsjr LawnSite Member

Hi,

I could really use some suggestions here. I have a new Grasshopper 227 (27 hp kholer command) with a 61" deck. I am using the high lift notched blades. The mower tends to bog down in grass that is very thick and a bit higher than usual (say 8" or so). Problem is I have property that has some locations that can be chronically wet. So sometimes the grass grows higher than I would like before I can get out to mow it. When this happens in some areas I have to slow the machine to a crawl because the rpms drop and the machine begins to shut off.

I called Grasshopper and they told me to leave the blades alone (so long as they are sharp). They said that within the first 100 hrs of the machines life (currently 35 hrs on the machine) I should see a performance increase because the engine needs to break in to reach full compression. Does this sound reasonable? I really don't want to have to go through sending the machine back to the dealer to be checked over if I can get away with it.

2. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

What kind of mower are you normally use too?

3. mnicholsjr

The last machine I owned was a John Deere X540 with a 54" deck. Would have to slow down but not as much with this mower. I only have 3 years experience mowing with these two machines.

4. JCLawn and more

from MI

Well unless grasshopper changed their decks it mulches more than a cut and throw deck like the JD. So when you mow super thick grass it grinds it up before throwing it out leaving less clippings. That combines with a new engine i could see your issue happening. retrodog needs to chime in.

5. mnicholsjr

Sounds reasonable, I would be interested in knowing retrodogs opinion. What makes the JD deck cut and throw?

6. JCLawn and more

from MI

its an open deck design with little baffling. this should be more like a GH deck [​IMG] and this is a jd deck [​IMG]

7. JCLawn and more

from MI

[​IMG] this is the GH deck with a mulch kit, you can see the baffling that is not part of that kit.

8. mnicholsjr

You are a genius. I can see that now, that's got to be part of it! Grasshopper told me that there notched high lift blades are the way to go and not to mess with the blade choice. But I have heard of others in this forum using a medium lift or a contour blade to decrease resistance?

9. JCLawn and more

from MI

Yes lower lift is less resistance but also means lower lift which means lower deck suction. A lot of guys will run a G5 blade which is this [​IMG] which helps the mower mulch the grass.

10. mnicholsjr

would the G5 help to cut down on the load the engine has to put out in the thick / tall grass? I thought mulching increases the load on the engine?