1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Grasshopper 227/61?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Steve1, Jun 16, 2004.

1. Steve1

Steve1 LawnSite Senior Member

On a whim (mostly because my brother-in-law owns an older unit) I stopped by the local Grasshopper dealer today. He had gotten in a new 227/61 (27 Kohler Command Pro, 61" deck) that looked really nice. Offered it to me at $7900 + tax but I didn't get to demo it yet since it is raining.

Loved the seat (breathable) and the setup as well as the single tank. Deck looked strong enough to drive on and seemed to be baffled well. Operator controls looked well placed and overall, I was impressed with the unit.

I've been looking hard at the Lazer Z, Deere 757, Gravely PM260Z, Toro 557, and a Scag Wildcat and am still not sold on any one in particular.

Anyone here running this unit and have any comments about it? I'm seriously considering it because the dealer is the closest one to me of all of them.
  2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I have a 227/61. It is a great machine. I have 3 other Grasshopper midmounts, but this new 227/61 is rapidly becoming my favorite. It has plenty of power, and is balanced out real nice so you get a pretty smooth ride. It also holds hills well. They are selling here for $7799.00, but we are close to the factory, so our freight cost is probably cheaper.
  3. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

We just got a 300 series Grasshopper. One of the sweetest machines I have ever used. I believe its either a 48 or 52 deck with a tough Kubota Diesel engine. Man this thing can cut. An we got PowerVac Collection system with it. Awesome machine.

4. Steve1

Anything about the 227/61 you don't like? How is the seat for a long stint of mowing? It looks/feels like it should be comfortable and not make you sweat like the other all-vinyl seats do.

I really like what I saw and the dealer is going to demo it tomorrow or the next day (assuming the rain finally stops).:eek:
  5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I can not think of anything negative about the mower. The seat is really comfortable, it is much improved ove my older model Grasshopper seats. Also, the cordura material sheds water if it gets wet, does not burn you like vinyl in the hot sun, and you will not sweat and stick to the seat like you do with vinyl. I think you will really like the mower when you get to try it.
  6. Steve1

Thanks mowingman. The dealer is trying to get it here this afternoon depending upon availability of his trailer. If not today, definitely first thing tomorrow morning as long as it doesn't rain.
  7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Take it in the RAIN! The DuraMax deck they have on them now is really something IMHO. A family crew has them around here and they are the only other service I see out in the wet when I am... and they are not making a mess.

I have a couple of good dealers here now and I will be considering GrassHopper next time around.
  8. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 225 midmount and it is the best machine I have ever used or demoed. Not that I have a ton of experience with them. However, it is solid as a rock and when you engage the deck it doesn't sound like it is going to come apart like some that I have heard.
    Another LCO came by with a JD demo (38hrs) last week and it rattled like an old tricycle. I road it also and if that is the norm for their midmount z's they need to stop production and start over.
  9. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

i have the 700 series with a 52 inch deck and a 61 they are beasts 1 is the kabota diesel and the other is a kabota gas no problems with it and it is really really comfortable also they make another fuel tank for it for the other side so u can have like 8 gallons or something like that great machine you will be really impressed