Grasshopper 321 D or 322 D?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Fred Garvin, Jun 23, 2007.

1. Fred Garvin

Fred Garvin LawnSite Member

I'm currently using a GH218 and have been happy with it. I'm looking at upgrading to the 321 D and then I noticed that there is a 322 D. What is the difference? From what I can tell not much other than the option of using a bigger deck on the 322 D.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I should ask for my old mower when I sell it? It has 400 hours on it.
  2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

The 322D has a different Kubota engine.

The 22 has a hair more HP and a lot more torque.

My advice to you is to get the 322D/61 or 428D/61.

The 321D/52 is a great unit also. Perfect engine/deck combo. I spent a bunch of time on one if you have questions about it. Personally though, I just feel that a unit of this frame size is just better suited to a 61" deck.
  3. Fred Garvin

I was looking at the 227 gh with a 61 inch deck. I'm afraid it might knock me out of a few jobs because of the size. (small gates)

Any idea what the price difference is between the 321 d and 322 d?
  4. Envy Lawn Service

Oh... the 218 is that 48" one they had out there for a while... forgot that...

Stepping up to the 223 and up mowers would be a benefit to you. With the 52" and larger decks you get the much deeper 5.5" deep Duramax deck, which has a lot more clipping capacity and such.

In any event, there always seems to come a point where you have to make a decision such as this about stepping up in deck size. And here is the deal...

Going from a 218/48, up to say a 223/52 or 227/52 will be a production gain.
    More horsepower = less slowing down
    Deeper deck = more fast mowing capacity and less power drag
    52" deck = very small production gain

Going from the 218/48 up to a 321D/52...
    About the same as above, except the 321D is freakishly unstoppable and tracks across the terrain like it's on rails due to the diesel engine. Plus it can be ran on non-taxed off-road diesel and only uses 1/2 - 3/4 gal/hr. It is THE most productive 52" mid-mount made that I know of. At full tilt on the sticks, sure you can put it in such conditions at that speed to make it cut bad... but you can't even make the diesel engine even begin to labor. So in normal weekly mowing conditions, it will cut at full speed and with the weight of the diesel, it will track a lot straighter over rough ground. In other words, it slaughters my 52" eXmark, as it will cut at speeds I can't even stay on the eXmark or keep it straight, and it has WAY-WAY more working power than the 23hp Kawasaki that is on it.

But in the end, still... stepping from a 48" deck up to a 61" deck... now that's serious production increase from the difference in deck size alone. It's litterally 4 trips across the lawn instead of 5, and that adds up fast. So like the old saying "there's no replacement for displacement"... well the same is true when it comes to deck width.

Myself, I eventually just shed all the lawns I couldn't get into with a 60" deck, and now I wish I had a 72" too... LOL... But that might not be something you can do. If so, the 321D/52 is the ticket for you.

As far as the difference in price.. I find it's quite different from area to area. So just check with your dealer. If you can't use the 61" deck it won't matter anyways unless you are looking at late models. As of now, the choices are...

321D 52"
    322D 61"
    322D 72"

Whatever you decide though, be sure to get them to throw in the Adjustable Tension Suspension Seat. That's an option you and your body with thank me for later. Real back and butt saver!!! Don't come home without it.
  5. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

hello, would u consider the exmark/toro 52/60inch 23/25hp kubota diesel probably seems like a good choice also . Although i suspect that either the G/Hopper or Exmark/toro 52inch does not have alot of trim capacity .A 52inch teamed up with the larger engine [approx 900cc] would be fairly un stoppable :weightlifter: :weightlifter:

6. Envy Lawn Service

On the Kubota powered Toro, I give a nod to YES. 23 or 25 w/52", 25 w/ 60"

The only handicap the 'other' non-Grasshopper diesel mowers is the weight.

Grasshopper knows how to build a diesel mower that's strong and doesn't weigh a ton.
  7. Fred Garvin

I would consider the others, but the dealer I got the 218 from is worth going back to. I know I like the mid mount Grasshopper. I just don't want to gamble on a different brand or dealer. I'm also used to the almost no trimming edge from the 48 inch deck on the 218.

Thanks for the input so far.

Any suggestions on an asking price for the old mower?
  8. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

the 321d has a 719cc 3 cylinder diesel, it actually put out 20.9 horse. the 322d is a 898cc 3 cylinder diesel, 22 horse but lots more torque. it is closer to the 26 horse , 998cc kubota that they put in thier 326 kubota ZTR. the 321 has a motor kubota has made for a LONG time, pretty bulletproof, but all kubota engines seem to be. fuel consumption on the smaller one will probably be slightly less, but since the 22 horse is a newer design, maybe not.

I ran the 321d with a 61" deck, and it was great. had a few problems with the linkage for the hydros in the ball joint/shock absorbers they use, but everything else was smooth. I ran it for about 1800 hours before I said goodbye to it, it may still be mowing somewhere. It burned less fuel- .4 gallons per hour if I did not go full throttle, maybe 7/8 or so, than any mower I've ever had. that was enough power to run fast and cut weekly lawns. wet grass or bagging had to be done pretty much full throttle.

good luck- dave g
  9. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

At our shop, we sell the 321D/52", for about $600.00 less than the 322D/61".

10. Fred Garvin

I went with the 321D. It'll be a couple of weeks at least before I get my hands on it.