Grasshopper 322D and Exmark z has the same engine.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fastcutter, Jun 6, 2008.

1. fastcutter

fastcutter LawnSite Member
    from west tn

I've did the research on both and the Grasshopper has the 54.8 cu with 898cc it's a 22hp. the Exmark has the same engine it's got the 54.8 cu with 898cc and they say it's a 25 hp.

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

It's not unusual for an engine manufacturer to use a common sized bore and stroke to make different HP engines. My truck has a 175 HP 5.0 engine while my Mustang is making around 350 HP with the same sized 5.0. Car builders have been doing it for almost 100 years. Change the carb, cam, timing, exhaust etc and you have different HP.

3. Ford850

Ford850 LawnSite Member

Kubota makes the same d902 engine with 2 governed settings. 3200 with 22 HP, and 3600 with 25hp. Grasshopper uses the 3200 rpm model, but if you look at the Kubota specs comparing both, http://www.dieselenginemotor.com/kubota/supermini/page5.html , you'll see that little 22hp produces similar torque all the way down to 2400rpm.
    I have the 722D Grasshopper, and I'm amazed that I can mow at 2/3 throttle, use .6 GPH of diesel, and have almost the same performance as at full throttle (just quieter and a slightly slower ride). Obviously with 22 or 25 hp these aren't the hogs that some of the bigger engines are, but they are workhorses.

4. fastcutter

fastcutter LawnSite Member
    from west tn

They have the same Model # on them.. there the same motors.inside and out...