1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Grasshopper 329b vs 325d

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Bay de Noc Lawn Car, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Bay de Noc Lawn Car

Bay de Noc Lawn Car LawnSite Member

Hi Everyone,
    I love my grasshoppers am looking to add another machine this spring. Currently running a 2012 329b and a 2011 729b (both 29hp Briggs Big Block). I am looking at the 325D and was looking for some firsthand accounts of fuel usage on both machines. I am wondering if the diesel will pay for its self just in fuel savings compared to my Big Blocks. Also is the rear frame behind the wheels longer on the 325? I have to go up the gate on my Isuzu diagonally with the 329 to keep from bottoming out on the ground.
  2. groundskeeperllc

groundskeeperllc LawnSite Senior Member

We have the exact same setup and I'm also in the process of buying a new mower. I'm getting the 325d to decrease fuel usage, looking to saving 20-25 a day in fuel cost with will basically pay for mower in 2-3 years just in fuel savings and the engine life will be a lot longer also.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. Bay de Noc Lawn Car

Grasshopper is claiming fuel usage of .9 gph on the diesel and 1.8 gph on the gassers. Does that sound about right in practice?
    Also will the 325D hold side hills as well as the 329b?
  4. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 325d and a 329b demoes. The 325 performs just like the 329 except it seems to stick better having more weight on the back so the tires dig in better. The diesel burns a little less than a gallon an hour where the big block is like 2. I figure at $3.70 a gallon average the diesel will pay for itself in less than 2 years running 500 a year. I ike both machines, but the diesel is the smarter purchase I believe 100%. Better resale, fuel bill cheaper, no ethanol issues, cleaner burn. Only drawback is you have to tightnen nuts and bolts a little more often due to the extra vibration of the diesel engines...
  5. Bay de Noc Lawn Car

Thanks guys.
    Diesel here I come!