Grasshopper 618

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by whiteboy, Aug 18, 2006.

1. whiteboy

whiteboy LawnSite Member

I am looking at a used 2002 Grasshopper 816 with a 52" deck and 18 hp Kohler. It has 340 hours. Asking price is $4,300. Is this a bad deal, ok, or good?

2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I had a Grasshopper 220 20hp 52" cut. Great little mower but it struggled very bad in higher grass. Spring was just too much for it. Needed more power. Not sure about the price on your model but it doesn't have the hp to handle many jobs you may come across. 23 to 25 hp is a good combo for that size deck.

3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I am a Grasshopper dealer. I also own a lawn service. I owned a 618, with a 48" deck and used it in our lawn mowing business. The 18hp engine has about all it can handle with that 48" deck. Especially when using a mulch kit. I would not use that machine with a 52" deck. Just too much deck for 18hp in my opinion. Great machine though, if you use a smaller deck.
    Price seems fair, as I just sold mine, with 278 hours, for $4500.00

4. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

NO, under powered i also had a 220 model it choked to death in every thing under powered it kinda turns you away from a brand.

5. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

If you lived closer I would make you a great deal on a 725 GH Kubota L/C 61" mulch or bag with the self dumping hopper has 1200 hrs and all the extras to many to list. I have to much equipment and this one is just sitting $5500 well last for yrs.