1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Grasshopper 72" help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by digger1, Apr 26, 2002.

1. digger1

digger1 LawnSite Member

running 3 - 725 grasshoppers ('96, '98, '00G2) 25hp kubota gas engines w/ 72" combo mulching decks at a cemetery on 50+ acres. talked w/ two separate dealers about new mower and got two answers on decks available. one said to stay with current style deck and other says grasshopper has a new and improved 72" combo deck with higher tip speed but also recommends larger tractor w/ this deck (i.e. more ponies). also means more $$$$.
    anybody had any experience or demo this new deck????
    thanx for the help!
  2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Dont you find that the rear end on the Grasshoppers swing into grave markers when turning? Why not go with a ZTR? Much shorter package, more compact and maneuverable.

Sorry don't know much about Grasshopper other than whats on their website. No one around here uses them anymore. They were very popular in the 80's though!
  3. BO-TY

BO-TY LawnSite Member

I use a 96 725 w a 61" deck & a 00 928d w 72" deck & have 2 cemeteries to mow & love the deck out front would not have it any other way My brother is the largest hopper dealer in our state that new deck is nice though i don't have one yet you have enough ponies you just need to use it on the one with the G2 drive to utilize the high speed gearbox on that deck you will be able to run full tilt & do a exelent job of cutting if you keep your blades sharp.
  4. digger1

digger1 LawnSite Member

Thanx for the info Bo-Ty. TLS, the out front deck gives better visibility when turning in and out of stones and markers since you are always looking ahead instead of to the side. We use the dual fork wheels instead of the standard "spread" axle on the rear to eliminate the chance of hitting stones.
  5. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I was looking at the new 32HP (432 & 932)mowers that Grasshopper just came out with. The factory rep told me that they will be comming out with a Kubota 38HP engine ( I think he said diesel), probably in the fall. Just thought I'd mention that.
  6. digger1

digger1 LawnSite Member

Friday morning the factory rep is bringing by a 938 (38 hp) w/ the new 72" deck for us to demo. Will let you know what the results are. Can't wait to try it but I hate to think what the price is :dizzy:.