1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Grasshopper 721D 1996 model alternator bracket

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Brant, May 18, 2006.

1. Brant

Brant LawnSite Member

Anybody ever see an alternator bracket break off a kubota motor on the grasshopper 721d 1996 model years?

I've had to fabricate a new bracket for mine.
  2. Dallas Turf

Dallas Turf LawnSite Member

I had a 1997 721 D That had a mis alligned driveshaft that caused the drive shaft support to brake, broke the valve cover where the oil fill tube goes through the engine cover, and did some other damage that I can't remember. Take a look at the main drive shaft while the machine is running mid throttle and see if there is any wobble there should be none.
  3. Brant

Brant LawnSite Member

:usflag: I don't see any vibrations on the main drive shaft but the entire engine does vibrate when cold and at startup for about 2 minutes...lots of vibration until throttled past choke (at least i think it's at choke when throttle lever is all the way down) and has warmed up a bit.

Thanks for the post.
  4. Mikes Machines

Mikes Machines LawnSite Member

I have been away from the lawn business for a while but I seem to remeber that there is an updated bracket to prevent this problem. I would contact your Grasshopper dealer.