grasshopper 721d vs. 722d

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nuconz, Sep 16, 2007.

1. nuconz

nuconz LawnSite Member

hello,

looking at a grasshopper front mount. tested the 721d at the dealer & might have the dealer do a demo this week.

the dealer also has the 722d for about $1k more than the 721d. is the 722d worth the $1k difference?

thanks.

2. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

It is my understanding the 21 horse is the old tried and true 20.9 horse kubota 3 cylinder. I have run that motor in a 321d and a 721d and never had any issues with the motor with over 1500 hours on each. the 722d is a version of the newer 26 horse that has been slightly detuned. it is a larger displacement engine and has more torque. I have heard others say it is more fuel efficient, but I can't vouch for that. If you can swing it, more torque is always a good thing.

3. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

The 722 will rip the 721 a new one. My advice is this. If you are getting a loaded up 722, hyd. decklift, powerfold and such. Just get a 928. It is about $800 more and well worth it. I had a 722 and put lots of hours on it, great machine; even bought a 322. The 928 is a night and day difference. Just like the difference between the 22 and 21. It rides so much better and climbs much better then the 700s which is important to me.

4. nuconz

nuconz LawnSite Member

thanks for the responses.

of course everyone is interested in fuel efficiency and torque, so that's a big clue.

wasn't going for a "decked out" 700 series. just the "plain jane" with a 61" deck. the 72" won't fit on the 6' trailer.

how is the fuel efficiency on the 928 vs. the 722d?

thanks much.

5. PLM-1

It isn't too much different in "normal" mowing conditions. Get a 722 loaded down in grass and the fuel consumption goes way up, unlike the 928 in the same grass due to power differences. I wouldn't go 721 with a 61". It will run fine but the 722 is really optimal with it.

6. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I've run the 61 with the 321d and the 721d I had, no issues with power except when bagging heavy grass or scalping. side discharge or light bagging was fine. This was of course 5 years ago, and we all know it takes more power to mow grass now than it did back then. the grass grows faster now and it takes more power. The 928 was a monster back then, and now they have even bigger. The 721d should be adequate, the 722d is a good step up, but not nearly as field proven. good luck.

7. nuconz

nuconz LawnSite Member

thanks much for the responses.

what about pricing? this "mystery pricing" is frustrating. for once i'd just like to know what something costs without being "spoon fed" the price.

the price might not really matter with that wonderful 1.9% financing that gh offers.

but just what are the retail prices of the 721d, 722d, and the 928d? anyone know?

thanks.

8. PLM-1

928 with powerfold and 61" should be around 14700. 722 with 61", hyd. deck lift and powerfold 13900 and a 721 61" should be 12500 or so, I haven't priced one of those in a while.

9. nuconz

nuconz LawnSite Member

ok, then this dealer is giving really good prices. he wants $10,900 for the 721d and i believe that he was asking $11,800 or $11,900 for the 722d. didn't recall his price for the 928d.

he says that he is the 2nd largest gh dealer. don't recall if this was in the u.s. or in florida.

thanks.

10. qball98

qball98 LawnSite Member

Just a little warning for you on grasshopper service.

I had a 928D with a 61"deck that was a great cutting machine. A few problems but everything was resolved quickly. Two months ago I traded it for a new 928D with a 61" deck and bought a 72" deck to do larger areas. I thought I was good to go for another couple of years but I was wrong.

The new power unit is great much smother running than my old one but both decks have problems that have yet to be resolved.

The 61" deck leaves streaks in almost every lawn I cut with it. It cuts all the grass but you can see where each blade has been it looks like every blade is cutting at different levels. They changed the deck shell but it still does it just not quite as bad as before. Now they tell me well we are not sure what is wrong with it.

The 72" deck at the factory setting was a half an inch lower on the left side took it back and they adjusted it. They even had the dealer rep. come in and look at it. Right now it is still a little over an 1/8 of an inch lower on the left side(specs in the manual are an 1/8 of an inch or less) and only 3 of the 4 chains the deck hangs on are tight. But the real problem is to get it even this close they used up all of the adjustment slot so now as the deck gets older I have no adjustment left if I need to raise the left side because of wear.

As it stands right now I have about $18,000 worth of mower and decks that cut like a piece of junk and I am not getting any answers as to what they are going to do about it. If you really want one and you get a good one you will be happy but if you don't then good luck trying to get it fixed.