Grasshopper 725 G2 Transmission Problem

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by yacht, Apr 20, 2003.

1. yacht

yacht LawnSite Member

Got the Grasshopper out a week ago and noticed a difference in the trans performance. I thought to myself that possibly the problem was me since I hadn't run it in 5 months and I just needed to get reacquainted with the controls. Then yesterday I put 5 hours on it and I clearly notice a difference in the performance. The tractor seems to wander slightly especially when going down hill. The wander is not excessive only a few inches but when you're trying to lay a stripe it makes for a real challenge. Before I bought the 725G2 I demo'd the cheaper trans on a 618. The 618 trans was all over the place, hard to stay straight and if you're not on the edge of the seat looking down at your line, you're not gonna be running a straight stripe. My 725G2 is performing similar to the 618 trans. Anyone run into this one?

Last fall I had broken the TEE where the fluid goes into the filter and lost all fluids. The dealer said no air bleeding was necessary just replace the tee and fluid and I'm good to go. I wonder if that had something to do with this???????

2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

What year is your GH? My friend and I both bought new 99's. He took his back to the dealer a few months after he bought it for the very reason that your describing. The dealer did some kind of fix to the hydros to keep it from running away down hills. I can't remember what exactly was done.

3. yacht

yacht LawnSite Member

Its a 2002. Do you know if their fix cured the problem? I think the '99 trans is a carbon copy of the '02.

4. bob

from DE

Yes, that fixed the problem. Let me know what your dealer says.

5. yacht

yacht LawnSite Member

Bob - The dealer I'm working with now told me that I should've purged out the air when I refilled the hydro reservoir after loosing all the fluids last fall when the Tee broke. The old dealer (who I bought it from and no longer use) told me I didn't have to purge out the air and said to just fill the hydro reservoir and go.

The new dealer is telling me to jack up the mower and run the wheels(hydros) with no load at a moderate speed for 5 minutes. This purges out the air and should take care of the problem. We'll see.

6. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Air in the system would not be good at all. Please let us know how you make out with this possible fix.

Gravely_Man

7. bob

from DE

On page 17 of my owners manual it says, " No air bleeding is neccessary since the system is self bleeding".

8. yacht

yacht LawnSite Member

Now that's interesting. Now I know why my old dealer told me not to bleed it. My new dealer said any time they change a hydro filter or the hydro reservoir is emptied or close to being empty they jack the unit up and run them for 5 minutes with no load after refill.

9. bob

from DE

When I changed mine, I ran the mower a few feet then checked the fluid level. I kept doing this until it was full. It sounds like jacking it up would be easier on the hydros.