Grasshopper 725 with no warning quits running anyone experience this?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by yacht, Dec 16, 2003.

1. yacht

yacht LawnSite Member

My Grasshopper 725 with 24.5 Horse Kubota engine has been an awesome machine, but, twice now it has just quit on me with no apparent warning. Since it was so instant and decisive I thought maybe it was a faulty operator present switch or the steering handle switches. Turns out all are good and operating correctly. After the unit stalled I cranked it periodically for about 10 or 15 minutes while working the throttle back and forth with no luck. I was about to call my dealer when I put the throttle all the way back (idle) and cranked the engine and it started with a very low RPM, but it started. Eventually it cleared itself out and ran like normal and I was able to finish the job. I had just changed the fuel filter about 5 or 6 hours previously and all of the electrical connections appear to be in good condition. Could it be vapor lock??? Since it sat for 15 minutes then started sluggishly its the only diagnosis that I've come up with.

2. floridalawncare

floridalawncare LawnSite Member

on ours there's a solenoid shut off at the bottom of the carb. two wires connect it, positive and negative. the positive has a connecter that allows you to pull the wire apart without cutting it. i'm not talking about the plug on the end of the wire, this is about 10 inches or so from the solenoid. this gave us months of fits before we found it. we just cut the connecter and spliced it together. the other two things are possible fuel pump, and the positive on the ignition coil serves as a junction were this fuel solenoid mentioned above gets its power, and the fuel pump. so the connection here is very important.
  3. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Would it stall, if the fuel filter was put on the wrong way?
  4. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

perhaps a faulty ground wire?
  5. yacht

yacht LawnSite Member

I will try to find that connector you are talking about. When you say you spliced it together do you mean that you eliminated the splice 10" from the carb by cutting on either side of it then reconnect the wires? What was your machine doing to lead you to this? I know its not the pump cuz I can hear it power up at key on and I think if the fuel filter was on backwards that it would occur much more frequently. I double (actually quadruple) checked it and its on right. I thought it might be a ground problem too and that's what I started checking with my meter. All (that I checked) checked out ok.
    Thanks for your help!
  6. gorrell

gorrell LawnSite Senior Member

I had similar problems with our 725 several years back. I replaced the regulator and problem was solved. Might give it a try...............Lynn
  7. yacht

yacht LawnSite Member

Lynn - I assume you mean the voltage regulator? I will keep that in mind could be that when it cools down the lost connection comes back.
  8. floridalawncare

floridalawncare LawnSite Member

yes, we cut the connecter off the wires and spliced them together. we just started moving wires around when it did this, and because fuel doesn't get from point a to b instantly like electricity, it was hard to find. but when we moved this wire, we noticed a clicking noise. this was the fuel solenoid turning on and off. when we heard this we knew the gremlin was found. it's pretty quiet though.
  9. nelke20

nelke20 LawnSite Member

I had this happen last week cruising along and the mower shut down. The dealer replaced the module and the coil and it runs like a new one.
  10. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Its sounds like it could be the coil,next time it quits check and see if you have spark right away before it cools off. If the above does not fix it.