Grasshopper 725k2 - PTO will not engage

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by rrollins, Jul 17, 2007.

1. rrollins

rrollins LawnSite Member

I have a grasshopper 725k2 and all was working fine until I ran out of gas and the mower stopped with the PTO switch engage. I disengage the switch and filled the mower with gas but now the blades will not engage. I do not hear the switch click if I pull the switch to engage. The mower will still start up. Any suggestion?

2. Ironic

Ironic LawnSite Senior Member

looks like it's time to dig up a schematic and a multimeter! :cry:

3. rrollins

rrollins LawnSite Member

Yeh, thats what I was afraid of. Just thought it may have been something simple since it worked right before I ran out of gas.

4. Ironic

Ironic LawnSite Senior Member

it still could be something simple.
    if you have the schematic and a multimeter, it shouldn't be too hard to find.
    it's probably a relay or a fuse somewhere.
    good luck!

5. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

berfore you do anything YOU MUST DO THIS let the mower run and then put a 12 volt battery charger on it and then with the mower going and the charger going try the pto if it works then let me know ill go into more detail good luck

6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well, I was going to start my own thread, but considering this one, I think I'll try piggy-backing here first.

I had sorta the same thing happen to me today...

I forget for sure, but I think what happened was that I shut the PTO off. Then I leaned over to get something off the top of the deck, and the kill switch under my seat cut in. I got back on the seat before it died, but then the pto did the same as described here.

I cut the mower off and tried to check the connections.
    Fired it back up and it still didn't work.
    So I tucked my tail and headed for the trailer.

This was a big site so it was a good drive... just out of stubborness, I pulled it one last time before hitting the gate. It worked and worked flawlessly the rest of the day.

I'm very puzzled by this.

7. rrollins

rrollins LawnSite Member

briandennis1470, I was thinking the same thing yesterday about the voltage because the mower seemed sluggish to start. I purchased a new battery yesterday and now the mower starts up very quickly. The PTO still will not engage. Envy Lawn Service, once I find out what is causing the problem, I'll post it here.

8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks.

Mine is still working as it was... but I'm still scratching my head over the momentary failure.

The only thing I have been able to dream up is an intermitant connection... Otherwise, I was thinking that I did cycle the deck off and on a BUNCH of times on that account. It's a big sparse dust pit now. Maybe it got hot and quit on me until it cooled down? I don't have a clue.

9. rrollins

rrollins LawnSite Member

Turned out to be the switch. Replaced the switch this evening and all works fine.

10. rrollins

rrollins LawnSite Member

Well it happened again. After I replaced the PTO switch last year, it worked for the rest of the year. Today was my first time using my mower this season and it worked for half the day. Then while cutting the blades stopped but the engine remained running. Cut off the engine and tried to start her up again and the battery was low. Jumped off the mower but now when II pull the pto switch, the engine cuts off. Picasso Services, leave the 12 v connection and the pto works, what do you think the problem is? I will try this in the morning.