1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Grasshopper 900 series reviews

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, Apr 27, 2008.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Who has a 900 series Grasshopper and what are your likes and dislike about them. It looks like a great machine, especially the engine choices. What does the 28 Kubota diesel cost?
  2. davidcentralflorida

davidcentralflorida LawnSite Member

i think thats the same, but midmount instead of front. i love mine, its like a luxury sedan after driving a beater for awhile. the engine is powerful, responsive, dependable, and i think does about the same, on gas, as my last(27 kohler command pro) which was aircooled and two less horses.
    by the way my last would bleed power on very hot days, you could hear(or feel) it struggle under a load. the 3cyl l/c kubota does not. it walks rite threw.
    i read about exmark and scag, but for me i like grasshopper, i dont know why more dont.
    anywho, you asked about engine options, the kubota is awesome. i think it was 4600 for the engine option, i choose. david
  3. tacoma200

Grasshopper is a favorite around here. There are times cutting around pines and bushes a front mount would be handy but I haven't had enough seat time to know if I would get used to it. We have one guy here that works solo, cuts up to 20 lawns a day, doesn't work in the Winter and all with a front mount Grasshopper. I've never seen a trimmer on his trailer. I cant figure that one out. They do recycle grass into small clippings so they may clump sometimes in this area. They are an underrated mower. I'm thinking Gravely is also an underrated ZTR.
  4. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

I like the ride, control and quality of my hoppers. What I hate is this time of year when the grass is growing fast, full of moisture and sticky broadleaf weeds that makes the deck clump and build up worse than an ultra-cut deck. They are high quality machines though.
  5. tacoma200

Yes they leave a beautiful cut in normal conditions. But it's the same here, they have some trouble with the type turf you describe. I have about decided I need to keep at least one open deck type ZTR around such as the Scag Velocity or a JD 7 Iron deck. It was drier last week so the Lazer saw a lot more action but it raining again as we speak. I can get an acceptable cut out of the Scag even in very bad conditions. I really like the engine selections of Grasshopper though.
  6. lawnrangernc

lawnrangernc LawnSite Member
    from nc

I have a Grasshopper 928D2 and I love it the Kubota can't be beat it has more than enough power to handle all mowing conditions and Grasshopper also has great collection systems overall they are a very well built heavy mower some will say too heavy for residential use but any mower that is well built will be heavy
  7. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Check out this puppy right here. I have actually never seen one of these in person but this looks like a sweet mower and it has the x-factor deck. Notice how gravely was smart enough to spread the rear support tires out far enough so its in line with the drive tires (aheam take a note walker). If im not mistaken gravely was the first company to build a front mount but dont quote me on that. I like this one because it drives like a ZTR so the learning curve in nada.

8. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

Nice looking machine but there is a downside to the wide rearend on a front mount mower. I have a GHopper of simular size and it had the 2 wheels together which I never liked stripe wise. So I ordered the wide version now I have be more careful when running along side something and turning away from it the back wheels will swing into things that never happened with the narrow version. Keep in mind front mount decks take a lot more space to spin around compared to the midmount. When I got my first midmount I never wanted a front mount deck again, just my opinion. I thought Walker came out with the wide version rear end a while back, maybe it didn't go over well.
  9. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Grasshopper or Hustler would be the builder of the first, front-mount ZTR. both of these companies had front-mount ZTR's in the late60's/early 70's.
    Gravely did not have one until the 80's, unless you include the 2-wheel Gravely tractor with the 30" rotary mower on it.
  10. Martin Mowing

Martin Mowing LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

Looks just like a walker super B! (BTW has split tail wheels), Also that is interesting to me that Hustler and Ghopper were the first ZTR out front decks as I live 8 miles from Hustlers factory and HQ and 15 miles from Grass Hoppers factory and HQ and know both families that started these lines. Learn something new every day!