Grasshopper(938 D)Kubota diesel 61''any users?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KLM N.C., Aug 12, 2003.

1. KLM N.C.

KLM N.C. LawnSite Member

Does anyone have one of these?Grasshopper 928D.I think ours is a 1999.The motor is fine but this machine has had more problems than it is worth.It was fine for 2 years ,then the problems started.Need some feedback if you own one,thanks.:cry:

2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I have the midmount version of that machine. Mine is the 428D, a 2001 model with about 600 hrs. Probably can not help you much, however, my experience has been good. Recently, however, the right wheel motor mount and right side of the frame started cracking. Grasshopper has a frame reinforcement kit avail. and it is covered by warranty. My dealer fixed mine better than new in one day. Also, right after I got it, at 42hrs., the electric clutch got loose on the output shaft and failed. A new one was installed, along with a bushing that made it fit better, and it has been fine since. It has been a real dependable machine for me. What kind of trouble have you had?:)

3. KLM N.C.

KLM N.C. LawnSite Member

Let's see,cracked deck,they relpaced one n/c.We did major reinforcing on the next one,heavy channel iron bracing& plate steel.Switches,diodes,starter,alternator,pto clutches 3??Pto bearings front,rear,yes we grease!The back axel at pivot point came off,fun!Front pto bearing housing has cracked,finally made friends at a "Pro" weld shop,welded at dealer 3 times.Deck wheel bearings wear fast,Foam filled deck tires are a joke,switched to j- thomas zero flat they work.Today the forward/reverse handles came apart,operates hydro pump lever under seat. I'll think of more later,the metal on this machine is "cheap"Did suck up leaves in fall ,when it worked.

4. tc61

tc61 LawnSite Member

I was just thinking of buying a used 1999 725 (24.5HP Liquid cooled gas) 61" Grasshopper with 1050 hours on it. Now I am really not sure. It is a little worn, one hydro pump has the blades broken off, rust on the grasscatcher corners, rear tire ripped. It is for my own house I am buying with 6 mowed acres and I can't afford new (the dealer wants $3700 for it).

5. yacht

yacht LawnSite Member

I own a 2002 725 G2 (24.5 HP Kubota) that now has 265 hours on it and it has been a decent machine. The unit has given me some minor problems but overall I would say that Grasshopper makes a pretty good mower. I did notice that the a couple of the welds on my mower deck look more like a goose crapped on the deck. A friend of mine owns the diesel version of the outfront I think its the 721D and they have 900+ hours on it and say they've done nothing but keep it greased regularly.