grasshopper deck weight uneven

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Hunter Landscape, Feb 12, 2001.

1. Hunter Landscape

Hunter Landscape LawnSite Member

i have a grass hopper with a 52" flip up deck and sometime during the previous year it developed a problem with the front left caster away from the discharge / bagging chute.
    it almost has no weight on it and on thin turf and pavement it spins and shimmers violently. (no i am not talking about a stripper :))
    i took the bagger attach. off b/c it is really heavy, but this made no difference. my dealer has tried to fix it twice and no luck yet.

oh yeah , this hopper was bought new in june of 2000!

anyone had similar problems? any solution possibilities?

thanx :)

2. gorrell

gorrell LawnSite Senior Member

Have you checked your weight transfer springs to see if they are adjusted evenly. Those are the springs that attach to the rear side of the deck. Just a possibility, Lynn

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Is it possible that that left caster arm is bent up?It's still cutting evenly, isn't it? Have you measured your bottom deck rim heights on flat cement? (make sure your drive tires are even in height and circumference when doing this).

4. tjg

tjg LawnSite Member

Hunter Landscape, I have machines w/52" flip up both are 2000 models and both do the same thing only on my machines both casters will do this, someimes just one caster sometimes both and it happens on both mowers, it usually happens just when we are going at full speed and not mowing, sometimes mowing at full speeds, Both of my 1999 models did it also, they were not flip-up decks but were 52". I have just put up w/ it as a common thing we have 300hrs on both 2000 and had the same on the 99 we I traded. I know I didn't help much but you are not the only one. My dealer started this year sell Scags and are trying to get my to trade I don't know. I have been using them(grasshopper) for 6yrs and don't know if any other brand will go on my trailers HEHE. I did talk to an old grasshopper user and they said they like the Scag better it mows better overall they like it, and had always used grasshoppers before. Any advice?

5. Hunter Landscape

Hunter Landscape LawnSite Member

my hopper doesn't do this in lush grass but usually high speed on thin turf. when the wheel hits just right (sideways) it can and will take a chunk of turf out of the ground when going fairly fast. (fast for a hopper anyhow :))
    maybe i can just haul butt through all the lawns, taking chunks out of the turf every trip, and then patch things up with sod every other month and charge accordingly.?!

PROFIT MAXIMIZE!! lol! i am not here for a hobby, nor did i go to college to cut grass and dig !! haha. but i love it!!

i will continue on my "caster straightening adventure"

6. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hunter & tjg,

If you're talking about the front caster wheels shimmying and even spinning completely around the reason is the caster yolk bearings need to be torqued down a little more. I'm sure that somewhere in a manual somewhere there is the correct torque spec but all I did with mine was tighten it up a quarter turn until I felt resistance (with the wheel raised up off the ground). hen it would only spin about half way around I left it at that. If yours is the type of yolk that has the bushings and not the bearings you can convert to the bearing type for around $120, see your dealer about this. One other thing to check is those plastic spacer blocks in the front caster assy. They do wear out and need replaced every 1000 hrs or so.

7. MWM

MWM LawnSite Member

In my opinion the best solution is to sell the GH. Cut your losses now before the dam breaks and you have to spend huge dollars on repairs. I ran 3 Grasshoppers last year. In a typical week 1 was in the shop. Not always the same machine or the same problem. Too many headaches for me. I have traded all of them in on 3 new Zmasters with the 26 EFI. I'm looking forward to the new season. It couldn't be worse than last.