Grasshopper engine that won't "bog" down?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Bluegrass1, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Bluegrass1

Bluegrass1 LawnSite Member

I am planning to purchase a grasshopper frontmount mower for my 6 acres with 4 - plank fencing. I, like everyone else, would like to mow as quickly as possible realizing there are limitations involving the roughness of terrain, type of grass, height of grass, and moisture content, etc. All those things considered, which of the grasshopper engines in the 700 series is least likely to lose RPM's when the grass is lush or a bit taller than it should be? I like diesel engines but the 21hp and 22hp kubota engines sound a bit light as the recent trend in mowers is toward higher horsepower. The 27hp Kohler has been around a while. The 3 cylinder 29hp kubota gas engine sounds interesting. I will not have the opportunity to demo all of these to compare side-by-side. The help of experienced operators would be appreciated.

2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

What size deck are you going to use on this mower?

3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Go 900 28 kubota D.

4. Bluegrass1

Bluegrass1 LawnSite Member

Sorry - I should have mentioned - 61" deck. The land is fairly flat. Nothing extreme as far as slope goes.

5. jeepflexin

jeepflexin LawnSite Member

i think the lower horse diesel engines will still work circles around a high horse gas, the diesel engines still generate a lot more torque and torque is what keeps an engine from bogging down when it is working. plus you will have a longer machine life span. i think the kubota expected life span is 8000 hours maybe 10,000. as posted above you could go with a 28 or 32 hours 900 series, i actually have one (928d2 i think i want to sell if you were interested.)

6. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Go with the 22HP Maxtorque Kubota engine with the 61" deck. It is a great combination. Don't worry if it feels a little underpowered at first. It takes a couple hundred hours for that engine to loosen up and reach peak performance.
    The 28HP Kubota diesel is really overkill on a 61" deck.

7. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

This is correct, however, since it sounds like you would only be using it for your own property, and not commercially, a 27 HP gas powered machine would be very good for your application ... plus you'll save several thousand dollars, too ... in other words, a diesel for residential purposes is over kill, too ... but it 's you're decision.

8. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

what if he upgrades to a 72" with the bagger:hammerhead: isent this what that mower is all about?

I'm talking about others that read this. if the poster trades it in, he will get more back with the 28HP