Grasshopper engines

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cityboy, Feb 13, 2007.

1. cityboy

cityboy LawnSite Member

I have narrowed my search for a new mower to one of the two frontmounts -Grasshopper 722D with Kubota diesel or the Grasshopper 729 Kubota gas with a 61" deck. I doubt a person could go wrong with either of those, they seem so meticulously designed. However, the two mowers are pretty close in price, with the 722D being about $400 more by the time it's all configured. Hoping any of you with experience with these mowers could comment on the engines.

As I have read here, it seemed that the Kubota engine used in the 729 was basically derived from the engine used in the 722 mower. I started both of these mowers in the dealer showroom and could not believe the quiet and smoothness of the 729 Kubota. However, the 722 is a diesel, with obvious benefits of longevity and low fuel consumption. Engine life between the two models is probably a mute point.

Any comments here either way? I am looking for adequate power to drive the 60" deck at speed, along with good fuel economy.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

2. Daneman

Daneman LawnSite Member

The Kubota gas engine is the diesel engine converted to gas. Meaning it is built like a tank! The gas engine is amazingly quiet. Either engine is a great choice. My suggestion is to follow what you already have, if you have other things that are diesel, then go with the diesel, but if everyhting you have is gas, stick with that, so you won't have an opportunity to accidentally put gas in a diesel. Runs great for a bout 30 seconds! Good luck with you purchase.

3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Hard choice there.

Could they provide you with some fuel consumption numbers?

4. mowpart rep3

mowpart rep3 LawnSite Member

i would go with the gas, most likely your 21" mowers are gas, deisel means another gas can to carry around, the kubota gas is rock solid. and good choice on going with grasshopper

5. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

The 22d and 29's fuel consumption is actually VERY close. I have a diesel that is very good on fuel. However, gas is cheaper then diesel now. Sucks for me ...