grasshopper equipment

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shawnslawns, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Shawnslawns

Shawnslawns LawnSite Member

anybody ever use or have any dealings with grasshopper zturns. They look to be very well built. Just wondering about their reliability. Also what kind of prices do they have on them? Thanks.

2. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

We have had a mid mount and front mount, also the prices are like any other mower we run scags now like em better.

3. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

From what I've read on here, Grasshopper Diesel ZTR's are the best out there. Try doing a search for them, you will find all kinds of feedback on them.

4. TURF DOCTOR

Diesel are okay can't compare with a scag 35 hp van plus warrenty.

5. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I didn't mean diesel mowers are the best, I'm saying that of the brands that make a diesel ZTR, Grasshopper is the best from what I've read.

6. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

I have not run any grasshopper mowers before but in the trader here there are more used grasshoppers for sale than any other brand , i would gather to say they out number the other brands 10 to 1 on used units , just makes me wonder why there are so many for sale

7. TURF DOCTOR

Grasshoppers are fine scag has a better warrenty bigger moters,bigger pumps,local dealer here is cheaper in price than a grasshopper dealer up the road.

8. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

FYI,
    Grasshopper uses the same pumps and same wheel motors as Scag in comparable model machines.
    Scag had to go with a 3 year warranty on decks and spindles, due to past failures in those areas. This was to reasure customers that the problems were fixed. The rest of the Scag machine carries the same warranty as Grasshopper, 2 years.
    Anytime you see a manufacturer offering component specific warrantys, you can bet they had a problem with those components, and are trying to reassure customers that the problems are fixed.
    Disclaimer: I am a Grasshopper dealer.

9. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

I have been running scag s since 1993 and i have had a total of 7 now and have never lost a spindle or a wheel motor or even cracked a deck , but i dont beat the hell outa mine i take care of them and put aleast a 1000 hrs a year on them ( 500 each machine ) maybe they put this warrenty for some of the knuckeheads out there who dont know how to take care of stuff and treat it good.