Grasshopper Frontmount Mowers.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by stuffdeer, May 11, 2007.

1. stuffdeer

stuffdeer LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey all.
    You see the title. So I got some questions.
    Anyone own a 2005 frontmount with a 52" deck and 26hp engine. Dualr rear wheels and confy seat.

How do you like it, and how does it cut?

Thanks.

2. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

but if you have a chance, try the Exmark Front Runner. Same concept.

The banner above says 12 month no payments, haha.

3. stuffdeer

stuffdeer LawnSite Bronze Member

Well this is on a trade for lawn service. It has 30 hours on it.

4. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

That Grasshopper if an expensive machine, and a very good machine. Grasshoppers have a great cut, great handling, and last just about forever with minimal preventive maintenance. I would not hesitate to get it. Should last you 25 or 30 years.

5. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I've had several front mount grasshoppers, I would say they last about 1200-1500 hours, maybe a little more if loved on and not used by an employee. I have had a bad one, a diesel, that I bought used at 45 hours. at 500 hours I had spent well over 2000 bucks in broken things. I traded it on a new one and had very little problems. I currently have one that is older with 750 hours on it. it runs/cuts great, but I live with the reality something could break. the dealer here provides great service, but I keep a backup. make sure you have a good dealer.

6. Midwest Lawn Services

Midwest Lawn Services LawnSite Member

My Grasshopper is 15 years old this year, second motor, and is running like a top! Front mount is my prefered mower...very easy to get under low trees ect. Grasshopper decks are indesructable, and the overall build is exceptional. In fact, they are probably over built, if thats possible! I honestly don't think I'll ever get rid of it. It has been a VERY DEPENDABLE machine! Very, very minor mechanical issues. By the way, once you get used to operating them, you'll find you can hold a side hill of most any grade very well!

7. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

Mine is getting old it's a 1992 on the 2nd motor runs great. But the hydros are getting real loud. Have you replaced your hydros yet ? I have not had time to price them I have the Gemini pumps and motor all in one. I had another but just sold it great machine the only drawback is they are so stinking long I need a bigger trailer for multiple machines.

8. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

The cost of a replacement Gemini transmission is about $900.00 for each side.
    Length on the front deck machines is no longer an issue. With the fold up deck in the raised position on a trailer, the Grasshopper front-deck machine is only about 4" - 6" longer than a midmount machine.
    I back my 721D2 onto the trailer, then raise the deck straight up. Then I can park another machine right up against the first one.

9. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

Thanks for info. I thought it would be high. But it is a great little back up mower plus I have the Prolawn sprayer that attaches to it. I was thinking of selling the combo because I dropped my applicators license. Know anyone interested in the sprayer who has a GH. The best and least expensive safest way to apply chemical to large properties IMO.

10. Midwest Lawn Services

Midwest Lawn Services LawnSite Member

No, have not replaced the hydros, both still original, but the left is getting a bit more noisier than the right...nothing major though. I would guess that machine has about 1700 hours, and the motor about 250 hours(replaced about a year ago with a Vanguard 16hp). They are long machines, but I like using it. You can mow right under mature pines and not even have to get the trimmers out! They have amazing flexibility. Gotta love that.