Grasshopper g2 alternative oil?

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by grasshopper928d, Aug 24, 2004.

1. grasshopper928d

grasshopper928d LawnSite Member

Has anyone found a replacement oil for the g2 hydro fluid?
    Mobil DTE18m doesn't have high heat quality for the diesel units.
    I got the specs from Grasshopper:
    No viscosity improvers; pour point -50 F; viscosity index 180; Needs 1400 ppm of zinc.
    Anyone know where to find this?? Help at $50+ a gallon someones making money. I can get DTE18m for 8.32 a gallon.:blob2:

2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

the g2 is mobil 1 motor oil,DTE18 is dealer # for drums of it.
    Amsoil has the oil you need

Mac

3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

928D,
    I have the exact replacement info. from Grasshopper, but it is at my shop. I will post the info. here tomorrow sometime.:)

4. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Grasshopper says you can use Mobil I, 15W-50 synthetic oil if you do not have any GH oil available. It does not have some of the wear preventing addatives that the GH oil has, so it is better to use the GH oil if you can.
    I probably would not use anything but GH oil while the machine is in Warranty.:)

5. grasshopper928d

I want to thank everyone for their replies. Can Olderthandirt tell me if I should use the Amsoil or the Mobile1. I'm not familiar if Amsoil has more than one oil or not.
    Thanks again!

6. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Use the Mobil 1, 20-50, That what my dealer puts in mine when there new. And I've never had trouble.

Mac

7. grasshopper928d

Thanks very much! I was just checking on the Amsoil and it looks like either the AWH or AWI meets the spec. But Mobil one would be cheaper.
    Thanks again!

8. grasshopper928d

I did fin out that Amsoil AW oils have high zinc. Amsoil wasn't able to tell me the PPM, but the web site says it's high(??)"AMSOIL AW Oils also contain a very effective zinc-based antiwear/antioxidant additive which prevents wear in high-speed, high-pressure vane and gear pumps while meeting the lubrication requirements of axial piston pumps having bronze-on-steel metallurgy.
    I think I'll try the AWH which specs out almost exactly what Grasshopper requires. You can go to the AWG which is much higher thatn spec'd for a few dollars more.
    I got 5 gallons for $103.00 delivered. Ijoined the prefered buyer for 6 months to get a better price than retail including the membership.
    I'll let you know in a couple of weeks how it works.
    Still cheaper than $55.00 a gallon for grasshopper, by less than 1/2.
    I also checked Chevron and Shell AW's and they didn't meet specs.