Grasshopper guys?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by freshcut419, Mar 21, 2008.

1. freshcut419

freshcut419 LawnSite Member

I have a 2008 midmount 227 witha 52 inch deck .I 'm just buying a bagger system for it . The dealer tells me to buy the smaller bagger with 2 bags and not the bigger one with 3 bags because its almost as wide as the deck and I may hit houses with the bagger while cutting close. Does anyone have this setup and what do you think I should go with ??

2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

You will be better off with the twin bag. The 3 bag is pretty wide... I have a 61", same model, and I actually had to move the catcher over to the right (discharge side) about 4 inches just to keep from hitting stuff with the trim side.

Also, prepare to be somewhat dissapointed with the catcher design... The bags fill up insanely fast, they are not much fun to dump because when you open the top you have to scoop so much grass around by hand into the bags, the flap in the back lets TONS of dirt and fine stuff blow straight out and on a breezy day it will COVER you. I also have had a terrible time with mine with the top just popping open all the time. If the catcher was more than 1/2 full the top would pop open, if the wind catches the flap it would blow it totally open... Ended up drilling a couple holes and adding a bungee cord to keep it closed. Very poor design for the PRICE of the unit! The blower works pretty well, unless the grass is wet, then it tends to clog up. Don't use the "recommended" medium lift blades either, use the highlifts only. You will get much better suction and less clogging with the highlifts.

3. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know what it is called for sure, but get the large...steel hopper. It will fit... might be more money, but you will love it. I have one on a 223 model. Good luck

4. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Problem with the dump hoppers is just that, all they do is dump on the ground... If you are dumping into a truck bed or a dump truck you pretty much have to use the bag type catchers.

5. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

Try the MEG MO blades on your mowers when bagging. The grass will be cut up 3 to5 times more and the meg mo blades will blow the grass a lot more so will have a lot less problems getting the grass back to the bagger. We have a grasshopper with the steel hopper but use very little as the meg mo blades cut the grass up so much more and blow it out that on a normal weekly mowing there will not be any clipping showing on the turf.

6. freshcut419

freshcut419 LawnSite Member

I,v never heard of meg mo blades where can i buy them at?

7. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

WE are a sponsor so go to the right and go to and click on our icon or just call us at 877-625 0125.

8. pconley

pconley LawnSite Member
    from ME

I would also recomend the metal hopper. Model 16 13 bushel. You just need to figure way of loading material. Use Grasshopper mulch kit for rest of season, they work very well and prevent need for removing material from job sites.

9. Lawn Tech LLC

Lawn Tech LLC LawnSite Member

I have a 225 midmount GH and the bags would get wet and did not last at all. I bought a out front 725 metal GH bin and with a little fabrication it has lasted for 3 seasons and is good shape and does a great job. The GH vac system with mulching blades really cuts the debris up fine. You might start thinking about a place on your trailer to put the clippings. We back right up on the trailer and dump and it really works good. I hope this helps.

LT