Grasshopper Guys

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Blades of Steel, Mar 24, 2004.

1. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

So how do you Grasshopper guys like your mowers? I got a pretty good quote today so I am giving them a thought. I will make my decision tomorrow between the Exmark and the Grashopper. The Grass hopper is about 500 less the tha Exmark and they both are good mowers. I here pleanty about the Exmark but would like some positive feedback on the Grasshopper. Hell they have been around since 1970 so they must be doing something right.

Here are the specs:

Emark Lazer HP 52" 23 hp Kawi 7499

Grasshopper 52" 25 hp Kohler 5999
    24" Bar tread tires "thrown in"

Any info would be helpfull.

Thanks

Tim

2. SDlawndawg

SDlawndawg LawnSite Member

I would go with Grasshopper if I were you. I own a mid-mount 225 with a 52" deck and I like it. I purchased it four years ago. I'm in the process of buying another one with a 61" deck. They're a very reliable machine that has impressed me over the years. I put a peco vac on the 52" for spring and fall cleans. It does a great job. The only problems I had with it was a hydro problem last year. Even though it was way past the the 2 year warranty, Grasshopper and my dealer picked up half of the bill. Other than that, it has been routine parts that I have had to replace such as belts, tires, etc.

Grasshopper seems to go the extra mile with service. They held a seminar about maintenance procedures at my dealer about a month ago. I learned quite a bit about specific maintenance tips and how best to service the machine.

3. My two cents, I have had grasshoppers for years still have 3 -321 d's" just have not been happy with grasshopper the last few years and thats why I just bought 2 new exmarks.

4. Blades of Steel

Well great.... I am 1 for 1 here.... Now I am confused!

5. flip a coin , its less confusing.

6. Blades of Steel

Great.... that is how I wound up married the first time.

7. gorrell

gorrell LawnSite Senior Member

I've owned a lot of commercial mowers in my 18 years of commercial mowing. I started out with Ransomes(bobcat), tried Grasshopper, Exmark, Bunton, Hustler, Scag, Steiner and Dixie Chopper. I now own 4 Dixie Chopper diesel 72" machines and two Steiner tractors and a Hustler 54" unit. The Grasshopper unit produced now provides a very nice cut since they redesigned the cutting deck. Most commercial companies have redesigned their decks in the last few years to provide better performance(Cut). You'll not be disappointed with the new Grasshopper deck. It does a very nice job, but so do a lot of other machines................Lynn

8. zero_turn_mowers

zero_turn_mowers LawnSite Senior Member

I have owned Grasshoppers and Exmarks both, I prefer the Grasshopper, actual I am may purchase another Grasshopper this week from a dealer in Memphis that gave me a really good price on a 721D 61' flip deck (New), both are great machines but I started out on a Grasshopper and have tried others over the years and now I am looking to go back. Like on have mentioned just my 2 cents.

Tim

9. Blades of Steel

Tim

Are you going out to Bartlett Small Engines? If so give me a call maybe they give us a good deal on 2 machines.

Tim

10. SDlawndawg

SDlawndawg LawnSite Member

Check out the new power flip deck. It's pretty cool. They have new air intakes too. No service for 500 hrs. I certainly wouldn't let it go more than a week without checking but they seem confident it does a good job.