1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Grasshopper Hydro Oil

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1998tahoe, Jul 30, 2009.

1. 1998tahoe

1998tahoe LawnSite Member

What typoe of oil should you run in the hydros on a 227 Grasshopper??? Dealer said something about Mobil 1 Synthetic??????
  2. trooper8870

trooper8870 LawnSite Member

Mobile 1 Synthetic is correct. Thats what I run in both of mine. No trouble yet!!
  3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

HydroMax Grasshopper oil ONLY. It's the only oil rated for their 1,000 hour service interval. It's expensive, but you don't need to change it as often. Mobil 1 synthetic is NOT the same oil, and not even an acceptable substitute.

Mowingman, a LS member and former grasshopper dealer/mechanic posted this on another thread, good info, and FACTS:
  4. trooper8870

trooper8870 LawnSite Member

My dealer has been a Grasshopper dealer for several years. When asked about hydro fluid he said to use and sales Mobile 1 snythetic. He says its the same. So my dealer is telling his customers to put the wrong fluid in their equipment?
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. todds mowing

todds mowing LawnSite Member

Re: Aussie Mowing Man, "If hydro oil cost is such a big issue.." Every cost is a big issue; I've been mowing for 5 years, and for the last 3 I've turned a proffit. If I can save
    $10.00 on oil and $20.00 on insurance, my wife and I can enjoy a Philly cheese-steak sub
    with enough leftover to tip the delivery girl.
  6. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

You cant get a real Philly staek in Florida. Tony Lukes only in Phl
  7. Lehighlawnpros

Lehighlawnpros LawnSite Senior Member

Hi Tahoe,
    We have a 2004 722D with the G2 hydros and we're using Mobil 1 15w50 with good results.

We're at 2,200 hours currently and the hydros are strong,
    I've changed the fluid and filter at 800 hours and again at 1500 hours.
    In the future I plan to change fluid and filter yearly (which is about 900 to 1,000 hours for us).

Since these systems have good filtration and rather large reservoirs, I believe that you can run the Mobil 1 for 1,000 hours with confidence.
  8. N.TX

N.TX LawnSite Senior Member
    from TEXAS

Only run the grasshopper oil in it.... the mobil one 50w20 motor oil goes in the hydraulics for toro units.
  9. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Tere is nothing wrong with using the Mobil I synthetic oil. It is just not quite as good as good as the specially blended Grasshopper brand of oil. The additives in the Grasshopper oil are a big factor in allowing those long service intervals. so, if you dedice you want to use the Mobil I, go for it. However, it would be wise to change the oil and filter on a shorter interval.