Grasshopper hydro problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Goinbigger, Jun 5, 2012.

  1. pepsicolla

    pepsicolla LawnSite Member
    from ny
    Posts: 16

    That very well could be the problem. I took my pintle out and sprayed de greaser into the dump valves then air to clear them out and it seemed to help my pump out alot out alot. Let me know how you make out. I was thinking about using the tap to take the guides to really clean them up out but I am afraid I May do more damage.
     
  2. piston slapper

    piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member
    Posts: 4,240

    I haven't played with the old grasshopper hydros for about 10 years....but...
    As I remember....(starting to sound like Dutch now)....if you have good power in one direction and not the other...the problem is worn orings on the directional poppets....nickle size discs with orings that look like flat batteries...
    I worked for a grasshopper dealer in the 90 s ....replacing the orings fixed a bunch of them...
    Posted via Mobile Device
     
  3. pepsicolla

    pepsicolla LawnSite Member
    from ny
    Posts: 16

    That sounds like something I should look closer into. The o ring gaskets in mine seemed a little hard and flatened. I didnt think to much of them as I couldn't figure out what function they performed. I have a O ring set, I could try to change them out with some new ones there generic O ring gaskets so I wonder if they would still work. Good tip none the less. Btw I have light scoring on brass sleeve bearings on the inside of the motor rotor and pump rotor could that cause the pump to be weaker than it should be? Thinking maybe the fluid is bypassing the balls because of it.
     
  4. piston slapper

    piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member
    Posts: 4,240

    The correct orings are green or orange in color....not generic black orings....they are pretty rigid..
    While any wear is going to somewhat affect the operation...if the poppets fit snug...forward and reverse should be equal..
    Mobil 1 15w50 should help any drop in power when warm.....
    Posted via Mobile Device
     
  5. Goinbigger

    Goinbigger LawnSite Member
    Posts: 8

    Do you mean the dampening pistons on the pintle?

    Page 17 figure 44 here> http://www.scribd.com/doc/50699099/WheelHorse-Eaton-model-7-service-manual
     
  6. zimmatic

    zimmatic LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 411

    Sunsource in Savage MN fixes hydro's I dont know about the old ones but I had some parker hydros for a 05 928 that started leaking out of the front seal and they said no problem to fix them.
     
  7. piston slapper

    piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member
    Posts: 4,240

    My pdf reader is acting up today...
    I would guess that would be a good name for the part I described..
    If you don't use the factory orings...you're wasting your time...
    Unless you can find hard neoprene orings....they will bypass....leak...
    Posted via Mobile Device
     
  8. Goinbigger

    Goinbigger LawnSite Member
    Posts: 8

    Yeah I never removed those, the instructions never said anything about them so I left them alone. The strange part is the one side that wasn't working is now working and the side that was now isn't. What a pain in the butt. I'm going to try bleeding it one more time than I guess I will have to tear that side out and tear into it as well.
     
  9. piston slapper

    piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member
    Posts: 4,240

    The books don't have all the answers...and neither do I.....
    When the orings wear...the pistons can get misaligned and stick...
    Maybe you dislodged it without knowing....
    Trust the power.....
    Posted via Mobile Device
     
  10. Goinbigger

    Goinbigger LawnSite Member
    Posts: 8

    I never took the right side apart, that is the side I am having problems with now. I can't seem to get it to bleed right. I have the supply line going in the bottom, the vent on top (unhooked from the res) But it just won't get any power. It was working fine before I drained it. I just wanted to make sure it had fresh fluid in it. Now I can't get it to work. The side I took apart is working great. That is what makes me believe it is just not fully bled. With the tire off the ground it goes, but I can stop it with my foot.
     

Share This Page