GrassHopper info

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hammer27, Jul 10, 2004.

1. hammer27

hammer27 LawnSite Member

I watch these boards pretty close and don't see to many posts on GrassHopper equipment. Any thoughts on there 61 inch riders with a Kubota diesel? I'm a scag nut but a lot of guys here are using the g/h and say thier great.

Thanks

2. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

I have a 725A front-mount with 52" deck -- should have got the 61". L/C 25 hp Kohler is a gas hog.

Love the machine and the cut. Aeravator attachment is the absolute berries!

Wish my dealer was closer.

3. lawnman25

lawnman25 LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

I own a 1993 model 616 Grasshopper and it has been a very dependable machine. It has a good quality of cut and has not given us much trouble. I am guessing I have over 7,000 hours on it and it still goes.(no hour meter) Everthing is still original except for belts and blades. It has a 16hp Briggs Vanguard that I have yet to do anything major to. But, please understand we maintain this machine. Oil changed every 50 hours, Air filter blown out daily, washed and greased every day. I can't complain too much about this machine, it has treated us good. I'm sure there are others out there that are just as good or better but it is all a matter of personal preference. I also have heard of some other guys not having very good luck with these machines but I wonder how well they were not taken care of. As with any machine maintence is the key to longivity.

4. Steve1

Steve1 LawnSite Senior Member

Grasshopper makes an excellent ZTR. I demo'd a 227/61 and really liked it; it had the best ride of all the machines that I demo'd. Had the Grasshopper dealer been better at customer service, I would have had a tougher time deciding.

I don't think you can go wrong with a G/H if you've got a good dealer. Just my two cents.

5. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

We run a Grasshopper at work a 52in. deck with a Kubota Diesel, thing is dang sweet. We have 1 Grasshopper ztr, and 2 other I think they are called front mounted 48's or 52's i forget model with kubota diesels. The one had some 6-7,000 hours on it and we jus now had to replace the motor, but thats jus because one of the guys for got to put oil in it. Grasshopper really makes awesome mowers.

Jeff

6. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

I own a 2003 225/52 and absolutely love it. Mulches very well and will side discharge 12" of grass if need be. The ride is outstanding and the hydraulics are very smooth. My dealer is a small dealer not too far from home and the are very good at getting parts and things (2 days tops if they don't have it in stock).

My 2 cents

Tim

7. rtyus

rtyus LawnSite Member

We have a 2003 321D/61 and it's a fabulous machine. We have an outstanding dealer in our area. You can't beat the Kubota diesel engine. We plan to buy another one with a bagger next spring.

8. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I might be interested except for the fact that there apparently are no Grasshopper dealers near me other than two in Maryland. I am not going across that damned Beltway to get to a dealer. NEVER.

9. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

I live in Maryland and my personal friend owns Whipp's Garage in clarksburg. If you like these mowers give him a call. These are great machines and you wont regret coming across the beltway!