Grasshopper MidMount

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jcbahr, Dec 18, 2006.

1. jcbahr

jcbahr LawnSite Member

Anyone out there running Grasshopper's MidMount series? Thinking of purchasing their 721D/52 with mulch set up. Appreciate your response.

2. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

I have a 223/52 and really like it alot, very comfortable there are a few things i would change but overall i think you will like it alot. :waving:

3. davidcalhoun

davidcalhoun LawnSite Bronze Member

721 series is a front mount.

4. jcbahr

jcbahr LawnSite Member

Thanks! I got my series mixed up. It is a 321D

5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I ran all Grasshopper midmounts for several years. I liked them so much, I became a dealer. The 321D has been around for years, and is a great mower. The 52" deck is a perfect match for the 21hp Kubota diesel Plenty of power.

6. dozerdogue

dozerdogue LawnSite Member
    from CT

I purchased a Grasshopper 428D this fall and can say IMO that it is the cats a$$. It will cut anything you put in front of it and has probably the best vacuum collection system on the market today. It will cut and vacuum 7-8" of grass with 2" of leaves on top and not bog down.:weightlifter:

7. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 223/52. I hate to be the bad guy but after having a Toro first. I'm disappointed.
    It has its good points but some things I don't like.

1.) The cut is not near as good as my toro.
    2.) It is rougher riding. The operator sits higher, and the guys complain that they come out of the seat more.
    3.) It won't mulch for crap, and I mean crap. It leaves a trail of grass behind.
    4.) It can't handle wet grass like the toro can. Clumps something pitful.
    5.) One gas tank, I don't like, that I like two.

Things I like.
    1.) The collection system for picking up leaves is awsome. It will get clogged up but it will vacume the leaves.
    2.) A little faster than the toro.
    3.The deck is better built than the toro.
    4.) Only had to replace one belt in 600+ hours.
    5. It is a solid built machine.

8. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I always thought the Grasshopper had a better ride than Exmark/Toro. Especially with the low pressure tires kept at a minimum psi.

9. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

The 223/52 in no way compares to the 321/52. you are not comparing apples to apples there. Also. I owned a Toro before buying my first midmount Grasshopper. The cut of the Grasshopper and the mulching capability is much better than The toro I had. The ride and overall handling was also much better. Out of seven brands of ZTR's I have owned, the Toro was next to the worst in about every aspect. Just my personal experience.

10. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

Excuse me. I didn't know I was comparing grasshopper mowers 223/52 vs 321/52
    I was simply stating what I have experienced with the mowers I have owned.

It is probably just everyones opinion on what they like.

The 223/52 sets up higher than the toro52" with 25hp kohler. On the same lawns that we were doing before we had to change the way we were mowing because of the grass hopper being top heavy.
    Around here there are very few, in fact only one grasshopper dealer, and very few lco's use them.

I also didn't mention broke belt tension springs that broke at 20hrs! Of course the dealer took care of that. I just didn't have a many things go wrong with my toro so soon.