Grasshopper (MOTOR) ASAP!!!!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by DBLC, May 27, 2002.

1. DBLC

DBLC LawnSite Member
    from AR

I have a 721D and today my forman called me to inform me that he could not sut off the machine. It was smoking black smoke badly. The key would not turn it off and neither would removing ALL the fuses! I had to take of the diesel line. Anyone know what might be wrong???:(

2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I believe there is an electric solenoid that shuts off the fuel when you turn off the key. If that were to fail and stick in the "open" position, you could not shut down the fuel supply and machine would keep running. I am not sure about what would cause all the smoke. Better get it to the Kobota dealer.:(

3. sdwally

sdwally LawnSite Senior Member

The solenoid is one possibility. If you have had water or dirty fuel in your system, the injector pump rack might be stuck wide open and the solenoid is unable to pull the rack to the off postition.
    I have seen this before. If a new solenoid does solve your problem then you will need to have the injector pump rebuilt.

4. DBLC

DBLC LawnSite Member
    from AR

Thank you both!!!! I took it to the dealer today and they couldn't tell me right off. Said it would be tomorrow. Hope it's not major! Thanks again!!!!!!!

5. Plowguy99

Plowguy99 LawnSite Member
    from MI

Black smoke means you have too much fuel fuel that is being burned completly. Usually the shut off solenoid is powered open and if it failed would stop the fuel flow, shutting down the machine. It is still possible for it to stay open. Hopefully for your checkbook's sake that is the case!
    Good Luck