Grasshopper mower problems-HELP!!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Quality Lawn, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Quality Lawn

Quality Lawn LawnSite Member

Grasshopper 725D will not shut off when I put the key in the off position. Suspect a fuel solenoid but was hoping for some input and suggestions. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

It is either a bad key switch, or a bad fuel solenoid.
    On the fuel solenoid, it is more common for them to not stay engaged, so mower will not stay running. Your symptom is just the opposite. I would think the key switch is the most likely problem in this case.

3. Jbh0724

Jbh0724 LawnSite Member

Your first problem was buying a grasshopper. RUN RUN

4. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

This is just an ignorant statement.
    Grasshopper builds one of the best designed, most durable, and longest lasting mowers that you can buy. It is common for Grasshopper mowers to last thousands of hours longer than other comparable brands of ZTR's.

5. dboyd351

dboyd351 LawnSite Bronze Member

+1. A friend has been using 2 Grasshoppers for many years. He is easing his way into retirement @ 65, but the mowers are still going strong.

6. Quality Lawn

New solenoid installed....all fuses checked and are good....Found 2 ground wires that looked like they were broken so I put new ends on them and reattached them to the frame....still no power to the solenoid.

Using Denso 16851-60041 solenoid.

7. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

Did you replace the fuel solenoid or the starter solenoid? If it was the starter solenoid, with a test light, check for power at the switch leg of the solenoid when the switch is turned to the start position. If you have no power there, it's likely the ignition switch is defective.

8. TriCountyLawn

TriCountyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I have to say this is the first time Ive heard Grasshopper get bashed on lawnsite.....I think that say something about the brand.

And to the OP, since its still running drive it up here ! lol good luck.

9. Quality Lawn

I did replace the fuel solenoid and have no power to it. The one I replaced was locked up so I am not sure if my current problem is as a result of that or the cause of the other!! I appreciate your input.

10. Quality Lawn

Let me tell you somthing TriCounty....If I thought I could get up there and back today and it fixed by tomorrow I would be northbound!!

First time for me also hearing Grasshopper being bashed.....in one ear and out the other. They have been very reliable mowers for me. Just a hiccup that I am trying to fix myself rather than pay labor fees. Thanks.