grasshopper mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Kilman's, Jan 20, 2006.

1. Kilman's

Kilman's LawnSite Member

i am looking at a couple to purchase, just trying to get some input on the quality before i purchase, compared to exmark, toro ect...:blob4:
  2. Bay de Noc Lawn Car

Bay de Noc Lawn Car LawnSite Member

The newer ones are second to none. The kabota engines are great, overall they are very economical to own-operate.payup
  3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Are you looking at front mount or midmount? IMO if you are looking at a Grasshopper, get a front mount. If you are just looking at the midmount types then there are others out there...

I demoed a midmount 52" with catcher. I really wasn't impressed. It didn't help having the ROPS on it that I nor the delaer could remove since it was the demo unit. I was so irritated that I couldn't get close to anything low because of that dumb bar! The 52" also didn't have any "trim" on the left side. (meaning the deck dosn't extend out past the wheels). That makes it very difficult to mow close to things, especially curves. I didn't have it a day and had several customers concerned about the obvious weight of the machine. I'm told that, even though the front mounts are the same basic weight, they actually "appear" to be smaller to customers.

The front mounts have many many add-on options as well. I guess you don't contend with snow... But that is one neat feature. The areator is as well, though it dosn't pull cores.

I wish I had one (a 52" front mount, 27hp kohler with cloth catcher) to use on my larger properties. I think a 61" would be overkill for me and I wouldn't be able to get it into very many lawns, but a 52" and then have a 42"-44" ztr as well would be a good combo.
  4. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

I looked at a mid mount model with kubota diesel engine at an expo, I was impressed, some very clever engineering went into these, e.g radiator position for one.

if they were a more attractive colour they would sell more, their colour choice is terrible!

but looking past cosmetics, the model I was checking out looked very impressive!
  5. therainman

therainman LawnSite Member
    from IL

As a former Grasshopper owner, let me just say, you will both love and hate them.
    They are great for a small biz, if you are the one running them all the time. If you are not they can be exspensive. The front mounts are great for trimming and ditches and the like. However, They have too many moving parts. The front deck is driven by a drive shaft and then into a gearbox. There are wear points where the deck meets the tractor must be replaced every 400-600 hrs. The front casters have wear points that must also be replaced annually to keep a quality cut. If you intend to put a lot of hours on your mower be prepared to put some money in it each year. Other than that, they are great for operator comfort. A little long for some smaller lawns. Hope this all helps..

6. Mr Budget

Mr Budget LawnSite Member

What points are you talking about? i have a out front deck on my woods I have grease zerts in several places
  7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with you all the way.

I wish you could have gotten a 428D back when....
  8. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

hi mate,

the dealer is interstate, and at the stand they were bagging the crap outa deere more than I do on here, that turned me off. they were apparently ex deere agents, anyway, just felt a little weird hearing this stuff not long after i bought my deere.

since then I've learn't much what they said was true, but at the time I didn't like what I was hearing.

but they I think sell Lastecs too, because of this I haven't bothered to arrange a demo, plus the fact Shane never did get back to me re a field test which shows they aren't interested in their product in this country and my opinions of it, also knowing I may very well buy one....their loss.