Grasshopper Mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by freshcut419, Dec 31, 2007.

1. freshcut419

freshcut419 LawnSite Member

Does anyone have any input on grasshoppers mowers. I bought a 227 52 inch mid mount mower last June am I'm loving it. I switched over from Scag because they cut crappy and the frames were riping apart.Id like to know what to expect out of my new mower??

2. zapper

zapper LawnSite Member

I love my grasshhopper. This is the second one I've owned. Both were front mounted mowers and the current one has a electric flip up deck. Now the deck gets cleaned and blades get sharpened frequently. I would have to recommend these even though they are pricey. They dont break down and are dependable. The 61" deck is awesome.

3. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

Scags frames ripping apart ? Goog God what are you putting the things thru? i have never saw one in my life rip apart and have been running Scag for 14 years and current have 4 Scags in the stable . Scag is one of the tuffest built mowers on the market

4. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

:confused::confused:
    First I've heard of frame problems or cut problems with Scag and I've been reading these post for years. But to answer your question I think a Grasshopper is a pretty good ZTR. I doubt the frames are any better than a Scag. In fact the Turf Tiger has double frame construction.

5. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

Scag frames ripping apart!!!!!!!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: Now I ahve heard everything.

6. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

Iam like you tacoma Iam confused :( This thread is maybe a new years joke ? lol If he rips apart scag frames he will really destroy trhe grasshopper mower It wasnt me Mike who is ripping apart scag frames Its some rookie named fresh cut

7. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I have seen a lot of Scags with frame problems around here. Scag had to go with the bolt-on front caster frame sections, as they could not design a frame where the front casters would not break off with hard use.
    I think the Scag frames are better than in the past, but they do not come close to Grasshopper's frame durability.

8. freshcut419

Still glad I bought a grasshopper. Still cuts like the day I bought it.

9. freshcut419

No rookie here Chuck bow been mowing since 1994 :dancing: