1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Grasshopper Mowers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Blink74, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Blink74

Blink74 LawnSite Member

We go a 2001 Grasshopper 225 61" when we purchased some commercial accounts a couple years ago. Now, I always thought of Grasshopper as the lower teir commercial equipment. However, when we started demoing new mowers we found that we prefered the Grasshoppers. We tried Ferris (Junk) Exmark (rough ride) Scag (clumped up) and John Deer.

My question is, how do the Grasshoppers hold up over the years.

2. Classic

Classic LawnSite Member

They are OK mowers. No major problems.

The biggest problem they have in my area is parts/service support as the distributor is a joke!

3. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

GH's are great! In my neck of the woods it is the majority. We have great dealers down here! A few buddies of mine have over 10k hrs on theirs (diesels of course). They are very durable with minimal mechanical trouble. The key is maintenance!

4. SOMM

SOMM LawnSite Senior Member

if we weren't running dixies, we'd probably be running grasshoppers

we got good grasshopper sales and parts networks here in the midwest.

5. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Why did you call the Ferris's junk? What exactly did you not like about them?

6. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

When I was looking at new mowers, I wanted to check out the Grasshoppers, but there isn't a dealer anywhere near here. I've heard good things about them.

7. Blink74

Blink74 LawnSite Member

Dont get me started

8. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

If you don't want to talk about it you dont have to but we are probibly going to get a new ferris IS 3000 ZL pretty soon and am curious as to what makes you call them junk.

9. malojeer

malojeer LawnSite Member

tried them all and GH seem to be the best. Easy to maintain and repair and best ride IMO

10. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I liked my Grasshoppers so much, I became a dealer!!! :D