Grasshopper not cutting level on a hill

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by 1998tahoe, Aug 15, 2013.

1. 1998tahoe

1998tahoe LawnSite Member

When mowing along a hill the deck will cut lower on the bottom side of the hill. It leaves bad lines in yard. All tires are correct air pressure. Deck is level and a 1/4" of pitch. Running high lift blades mowing at 2 3/4"- 3 1/2". Does it on all heights.
  2. MBDiagMan

MBDiagMan LawnSite Senior Member

I'm afraid I have no help to offer you Tahoe, but I will follow your thread closely. You have already seen to the things I would have checked.

I have a very similar problem with my 8 year old Bad Boy, but it has always been this way. In fact I am on the verge of buying a used grasshopper front mount to run it a while to see if they will do any better and see if I like it long term.

Is your grasshopper a mid or front mount?
  3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

If it is a front mount, check the plastic bushings located where the deck arms attach to the tractor. They might be getting worn, allowing some slack.
  4. 1998tahoe

1998tahoe LawnSite Member

It is a mid mount. I have been running a front mount for years. This time went with a mid mount because of some issues with front mount and climbing hills. I loved the front mount except for takes up lots of trailer space and will not go forwards up a hill. It has all kinds of reverse traction just not forwards.

I wounded if the springs on each side of mower that allow the deck movement are too loose or too tight?
  5. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

Ive noticed the same problem with one of my exmark midmounts. The tires over time have weakened sidewalls. I put 20 lbs in each tire and it helped a bunch.