1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Grasshopper or Dixie Chopper

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Quality Lawn, May 3, 2008.

1. Quality Lawn

Quality Lawn LawnSite Member

I run all Grasshopper mowers. I am preparing to purchase a new mower and was wondering if anyone had any opinion on Dixie Choppers. They are becoming quite popular in our area. I would be buying one comparable to a Grasshopper 428D. Any input would be appreciated.

WREBELMACHINE LawnSite Bronze Member

Dixie chopper owns this area. I have demoed the grasshopper and it is nice machine the dixie will be much faster and take heavier grass. Espesally if you go with the excalubur series. Also the dixie will have a 35hp yanmar on it so it will be a stronger unit!
  3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

The 428D is a solid, well built, dependable machine. The Kubota engine will run nearly forever.
    The D.C. is ok, but the Yanmar is loud, heavy, and parts cost a small fortune. The D.C. machine sets higher and is terrible on hills. The 428 is low and wide and sticks to hills like glue. The Grasshopper has very smooth steering, the steering on the D.C. is very touchy and jerky. You had better try one of those D.C.'s on some of your properties before you buy it. After running Grasshoppers, I don't think you will like the D.C. at all.
    I only kept my d.C. one season, and got rid of it. After that, I never strayed from the Grasshoppers.
  4. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

Dixie equals technology of the '90s. They are junk. Even there 35hp diesel is useless if the deck can't move the grass ands burns up the belts.
  5. Apples

Apples LawnSite Senior Member

The 428D is a very nice mower. If you are happy with it,why change? The 72" did clump a little. I own a 72" Dixie Chopper diesel,and like it. It is very good on hills,and I have had no problems with it. I am waiting for the new Excalibur diesel model to come out. Like the others have said,demo before you buy!
  6. zimmatic

zimmatic LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe wait a year I heard grasshopper is comming out with a 45hp machine (rumor) I know that the out front grasshoppers are getting an all new transmission called the T1 I belive. The hydro's are encased in the resivor and are direct drive off the engine for no powerloss.
    I am a grasshopper owner and wont switch even if the machine is a small fortune initially.
  7. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

I swapped from Grasshopper to Bad Boy. I have found that BB is a much more innovative machine that is waaaaay better to work on than either. 35hp Cat diesel 72in" for $12695. 15mph, michigan seat, 4 wheel easy ride suspension, it will blow the hopper out of the water for the price!! Take my word for it and take a look. www.badboymowers.com
  8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

And you have proof of this?

A lot of Dixie's old technology is still unmatched today. You want a new deck then look at the Excalibur.

Quad loop steering (Dixie exclusive)
    OCDC (Dixie holds the patents)
    Lifetime frame and front bearing warranty
    More engine options than anybody else
    The best engine oil filter system in the industry
    Electric deck lifts
    Manual and electric blade clutches

The list of features goes on and on.
  9. Ford850

Ford850 LawnSite Member

I just got a new GH 722D-T6 last week. Direct drive hydros off the engine to improve responsiveness and use less HP. It also eliminates the extra belts. Hydro capacity is only 2.7 quarts, with filter and hydro fluid changes scheduled every 500 hours.
  10. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

A dixie chopper almost killed me twice... so yes I think are disasters. Maybe they have improved since.