1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Grasshopper or Exmark Frontmounts ?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Youngone07, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Youngone07

Youngone07 LawnSite Member

I have been researching for a frontmount and both exmark, and grasshopper offer solid frountmounts. Plus should i get the diesel with a frountmount or just a gas?? Any experience, or comments are appreciated
  2. bigclawn

bigclawn LawnSite Senior Member

trust me------------ try a Walker Super B for a few days before making any decision!!!! really work it especially on slopes and berms!
  3. Liendeni

Liendeni LawnSite Member

I can't really give advise on the Exmark front mount but I do have a 52 in. Grasshopper with the front mount and I really like it. I can trim around hanging trees much easier than any mid mount mower. I really do believe that cuts down on trimming a great deal.

I have a couple lawns where I would have to do a great deal of trimming if it were not for the front mount. Again, can't really compare the two because I have never tried the exmark version but I do think you could find a Grasshopper for about half the price.

Also...the blades are extremely easy to remove and sharpen. Very happy with my Grasshopper front mount at this point.

Good luck!
  4. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

I have more experience with the front runner.

What you get is basically this..... the tractor unit is basically redisigned lazer components......

The deck was running an ultracut deck, which is also proven. You can use turf tires or mudders. The deck electric flip up freature is real nice for changing blades or servicing. With the two rear wheels at each corners, it feels pretty good on slopes.
  5. Ford850

Ford850 LawnSite Member

I have a 61" 722D T6. I love the overhang of the deck for much easier trimming. It does unbelievable on hills if you need that. I have the bar tires and they do great for me and don't seem to tear things up unless I get overly agressive on 'take offs'. GH are tried and true, but the Exmark would probably be a good choice too. My desision came down to the Kubota engine on the GH and I felt more comfortable with the GH dealer.
    If you plan on keeping the mower for many years, the diesel is probably the better choice. If you will trade it in within a few years, then I would go with Gas. I love my diesel though, and get up to .6 gallons per hour running it. It uses slightly more if running full throttle in heavy wet fescue.
    The T6 is their newest but time will tell if it holds up as well as their robust G2.
  6. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

Either way you better get a longer trailer if you want more than 1 machine on there.
  7. bigclawn

bigclawn LawnSite Senior Member

I repeat--try the Walker Super B--you will be very pleasantly surprised at what this machine will do! Extremely strong, nimble, handlers grass very well, cleans uop after itself, climbs and holds berms----it's totally different from the other Walkers
  8. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic

If you are just going to mow. Go exmark, get a liquid cooled gas.

But Grasshopper has other attachments like a buffalo turbine blower, an aerator,snow blower and otherthings that are much better than exmarks alternate attachements.
  9. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Exmark has maybe 3 years experience making front mount machines. Grasshopper has 40 years experience. Grasshopper frontmounts outsell Exmark front mounts probably 50 to1. Nuff said???
  10. Macdiesiel

Macdiesiel LawnSite Member

I Got a new 72" frontrunner with a air cooled 32hp and it is sweet.