1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Grasshopper or Ferris

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Cajun Country Lawn Care, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Cajun Country Lawn Care

Cajun Country Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Looking at either the Grasshopper Model 223, 52 inch 23 kohler or the Ferris IS 1500 Z with the 48 inch cut 21 kawasaki. There is a thousand dollar difference on price with the grasshopper being $7,699. Dealer support sides towards the Ferris only because dealer has been around longer. :usflag:
  2. Lehighlawnpros

Lehighlawnpros LawnSite Senior Member

We've run Grasshoppers for 15 years and have been
    extremely pleased with quality of cut and durability.

All three of ours are front-mounts but they share a lot of the same parts with the mid-mounts.

Ours are all 52" and they seem just right for residentials.

We've never had an engine (ours are liquid-cooled Kubotas) or a spindle fail in 15 years.

I give each of the spindles one pump of general purpose lithium grease every mowing day.

Our original 721 is now nearly 16 years old and still runs and mows great (although it doesn't look like much :)

Also, they're fairly easy to work on if you like to do your own repairs.

Grasshopper receives my highest recommendation!

3. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I would definately suggest you demo each mower and see which one is better. Some mowers perform better in some areas than others.
  4. groundskeeperllc

groundskeeperllc LawnSite Senior Member

Grasshopper all the way, the Grasshopper dealer there in Lafayette (Eunice Rental-Pinhook) is going to be great, Jay just took over 2 weeks ago and is reorganizing, he was the Grasshopper rep for our area for years but got tired of being on the road, he knows his stuff, you couldn't go wrong buying a Grasshopper from him
  5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I must say, the Grasshopper is a good choice. I don't really know squat about Ferris though, other than threads on here.

Not 100% sure what machine you are saying is $1,000 more, the grasshopper or the Ferris? I know GH is very proud of their machines and they have them priced up there with Exmarks and Toros. GH is a good quality machine though, and well enginerred. Look at the height adjuster for the deck, no stupid little pins and clips to fumble with, just one big pin that sits vertically. You can change it with one hand while driving. Their spindles are greasabe AND rebuildable, not that they wear out, but if you hit something really hard (been there, done that) you can replace the shaft in them no problem.
  6. freshcut419

freshcut419 LawnSite Member

grasshopper I went from scag to a 227 52 inch deck with a bagger and love it..
  7. LexingtonKYcutter

LexingtonKYcutter LawnSite Member

Used Grasshoppers years ago, but have used Exmarks for years. I switched to the Is2000 big blocks this year and just had our first few days of cutting grass.

UNBELIEVABLE. Thats all I will say. I cant tell yet because the grass isn't really in full grow mode yet, but I have estimated that with my guys being able to mow a bit faster from not slowing down as much as they did with their ridged framed Exmark XS units. I estimating that I may be able to get upwards of 10-15% quicker mowing time and efficiency with the IS2000 Big Block over my Exmark Lazer XS units, as well as saving a ton of money. Looking at the spots we mowed the other day, versus what I was doing with the Exmarks, wow. The suspension and comfort kept my guys going fast instead of slowing down for the bumps and rough areas we encounter at some of the horse farms we mow in my area of the country. I have a few more Exmarks in my fleet that will be going bye bye sooner than I expected if I see that kind of time savings into the season.

As always, demo something before you spend that much money, and make sure you are happy. Happiness is king.
  8. Big Red Ferris

Big Red Ferris LawnSite Member

i have 2 of the ferris mowers ur lookin at 1500z 48'' 21 kawi i love them they ride sweet they cut good my dealers good paige equipment in ny there vary fair too deal with. im also friends with the rep for ferris and ive ran them for 12 yrs and i used too work on deeres for dealership out town u cant get me on a riged frame mower i walk away at the end of the day never look back,suspen seats dont do any thing compaired to a suspen frame unit and ferris is bulit in ny so they know what we mow in the northern states i get parts in a day/half what was more expensive the GH? ferris builds good units if i was home owner id have a deere bc i love there compact tractors
  9. jhastrello

jhastrello LawnSite Member

Biggest comment that I saw when I was doing this same type of research is that the Ferris has a great ride, and a reputation for so-so 'cuts'. Can't really comment on the Grasshopper.

I've gone ExMark, since I have both the dealer support here and it's a very recognizable name/brand in the area. That, and the reputation for the quality of cut and engineering.
  10. Big Red Ferris

Big Red Ferris LawnSite Member

gota have sharp blades and clean deck i scrap every week its pain in the nutts but more when its wet but high lift blades throw it good