Grasshopper or Ferris?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by robertyb, Mar 4, 2004.

1. robertyb

robertyb LawnSite Member
    from ga

I just got back from a dealer, I demoed a 220/52 (20 hp Kohler) midmount grasshopper and he offered it to me for $5,995.00 then he told me he had a Ferris 1000 IS model 23 Kaw/ 52 cut midmount mower he would let me have for same price. Both drove well and both have full two year warranty, I liked the seat on the Grasshopper best but the Ferris is a lot faster and has larger motor and he says better pumps on it.

If you had to choose which you you buy?

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Go with the Ferris IMO...more hp and a nicer ride too with the IS. BTW, I have owned like 15 or so Ferris machines during the past 9 years. Anyone on LS that knows me knows I'm their biggest fan. Feel free to send me a pm or email me at rspronck@aol.com if you have any questions relating to Ferris machines.

3. Dave655

Dave655 LawnSite Member

Ferris all the way!!! I don't have one, but I know a couple of guys who do and they are in love with them!!

4. robertyb

robertyb LawnSite Member
    from ga

Is the price right on this machine at $5995.00?

5. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Good price on the grasshopper, i love mine would buy another 1.

6. robertyb

robertyb LawnSite Member
    from ga

I also meant to ask, does the IS1000Z hold slopes OK?

7. rodfather

Better than most cause of the Independent Suspension system.

8. flyboy

flyboy LawnSite Member

Don't buy either of them! GET A HUSTLER SUPER Z AND BE DONE WITH IT!

9. rodfather

Oh, that really helps him a whole lot. What does he do if he doesn't have a Hustler dealer near by? Hmmm...5 posts so far? Someone has a lot to learn btw since our profile says we have been in business 1 year...

10. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I have looked at both. I feel the Grasshopper is a sturdier designed machine with less to go wrong. Of course, this is just my opinion. The Ferris seems to be a lighter duty machine than it's bigger brothers. The Grasshopper shares almost of it's design with the bigger Grasshopper machines, which really makes it overbuilt. I own two Grasshopper midmounts, and they are very good machines.
    :)