grasshopper or hustler

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by str400ex, Feb 12, 2007.

1. str400ex

str400ex LawnSite Member

I got some good news today my dealer is picking up hustler I currently own a hopper 223, im looking at getting something bigger this year I had my heart set on a new super z but after reading some post on there cut quality im wondering if that is what i should get ,im looking at either a 227 grasshopper or a super z 60 or 66 inch which does every one recomend the reason im staying with these two brands is the dealer I got my grasshopper from has been really good to me and dealer support means alot . Thanks Shawn Reardon
  2. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

The new Hustler's have fixes for the cutting issues. I have them installed on my 27/60 Super Z.
  3. str400ex

str400ex LawnSite Member

how is the power of the 27 is it enough or should i go with a 28 efi and do you know what the difference between the 60 and 66 inch deck , do you think that the fixes made the cut outstanding , i am very picky on the way i leave my lawns when i leave thanks for the info Shawn
  4. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I've owned a 52" 27hp Super Z and currently own a 28hp EFI 60". The 28hp is soooooooo much more powerful than the 27 and uses sooooooo much less gas. BELIEVE ME.
  5. str400ex

str400ex LawnSite Member

what about the cut you have sold me on the 28
  6. fastcutter

fastcutter LawnSite Member
    from west tn

grasshopper you will love it.
  7. F.O.S.

F.O.S. LawnSite Member

I have ran ferris, exmark, Deeres, and Hustler. Currently own a 2006 grasshopper 322D. All were good machines in my opinion, but the grasshopper is definitely my favorite. The duramax deck leaves a very nice cut in the cool season grasses around here (mostly fescue). Only the exmark w/ a ultracut left a better finish, but not enough to make me want to buy one. The only complaint I can make about the grasshopper is that in tall wet grass the motor can bog down a little, but at just under .9 g/hr I can't complain too much. I think if you wanted to get a better apples to apples comparison between the super Z and the grasshopper you might want to jump up to the 300 series 321D with a 52" deck. Good luck with your decision and I'm sure you'll be happy with either one.
  8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I too feel the Grasshopper is a better performing machine and their diesel units are hard to beat for the performance and lighter weight than the other MFG's diesel offerings.

I like the 322D and the 428D.

They tell me that a diesel mechanic experienced with these engines can really turn them up and turn them on. I have to assume it would use a little more fuel though.
  9. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

KUBOTA :weightlifter: :weightlifter: :weightlifter:
  10. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

My Hustler of course had cut problems that couldn't be resolved in our type grasses but in other area's of the country it preformed well. The company stood behind the product. The 27 Hp on a Super is a bit week on slopes. Other than that a great performer.
    Grasshopper is the #1 brand in this area and they are a great choice also.
    You really need to demo in your area during spring growth to see which one you like or you may be sick that you made the wrong decision. You really need a LENGTHY DEMO on each one. They are both fine mowers under the right circumstances. Boy if I could have got the Hustler to cut to my satisfaction it would have been hard to beat.