1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Grasshopper or Hustler?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by doubleedge, Mar 29, 2010.

1. doubleedge

doubleedge LawnSite Senior Member
    from ND

I need another mower for this year, so I have narrowed down the choices to a few units.

The Grasshopper is 61" with 27 hp and costs $8700 without a bagger; it has been sitting out all winter and is very dirty and has some rust.

One of the Hustlers is a regular z with a 60" deck and 25 hp; it costs 9100 with the triple bagger, is in very good condition, but was a demo and has around 50 hours.

The other Hustler is a super z with a 60" deck and 31 hp; it costs 8500 without the bagger, is in very good condition, but was also a demo and also has around 50 hours.

I mow Kentucky Blue Grass primarily; would a Hustler with a bagger do well on this type of turf? I have heard bad things about their cut quality on northern grasses. I need a bagger on any of the mowers, so the Grasshopper and super z would cost more than the regular z that comes with a bagger.

2. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

I would not buy the Hustler without a demo. Mine will not cut clean in 1 pass, so it would be a waste to buy a bagger.

The Grasshopper will cut clean with a bagger. Are these your only options?

3. doubleedge

from ND

They arent my only options, but they are pretty cheap compared to exmark, and the bigger deck sized kubotas are too heavy. JD is also a bit too heavy. Not sure about toro, but I believe they are also too expensive, and the dealer doesnt stock many. Only others are simplicity, which I guess are basically ferris, and new holland. And dixon.

4. jspray

jspray LawnSite Member

Buy the Grasshopper--it's a great mower with an excellent cut.

5. doubleedge

from ND

How does your emarks' cut compare with your hustler? What about maintenance and comfort? Maybe I should just go for the best and never regret getting something worse.

6. castlerockmo

castlerockmo LawnSite Senior Member

The New Dixon Grizzly is a Great cutting machine if you have a good dealer in your area. I just demoed it again today. (husqvarna PZ) But if I had choice between the two I would choice the Grasshoper just bc of better quality of cut.

But really look at the new Grizzly.

7. johnnyusa

johnnyusa LawnSite Senior Member

Grasshopper gets my vote espescially if it was a front mount. They have a great cut ill take one anyday over an exmark or a hustler.

8. Hawg City Lawns

Hawg City Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

i find a grasshopper to be a nice mower so i pick that one

9. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

Get the GH and look for a used bagger kit for it.

10. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

The Exmark Ultracut deck is much better than my Hustler XR7 deck. Comfort is all the Hustler really has going for it in my opinion. The Grasshopper is your best choice. Demo both if your unsure, but the taller the grass the worse the Hustler cuts. I cut at 3.5 inches and up and it leaves strips, and the deck get dirty needs to be cleaned more often.

Seriuosly the G Hopper is right up there with the Exmark in cut and dependability. Might be a little more of a pain to work on is all.