Grasshopper owners, front vs mid mount ride

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, Jun 10, 2005.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Most of the large lawn care companies around here us front mount Grasshoppers. They always told me that they rode much better than the mid mount ZTR's. I test drove a 727 front mount yesterday and it did well on the slopes as promised but they ride seemed bumpy even with the suspension seat. It was a bit of a let down. They offered me a great price (meter showed 14 hrs so they had been playing with it some) but the ride just didn't seem any better than a midmount. They are a new dealer so maybe they had too much air in the tires or something. If you have used both the mid mount and the front mount give me you opinions on ride quality. Does you front mount or midmount ride better.

Also the electric deck lift jammed on them twice and they said it was easy to fix but that concerned me also. The 727 with suspension seat and electric lift, 60" cut was only 8400. Guess they were selling it as a demo. Seems like a great price but it didn't seem to ride any better than my midmount. Your opinions please!!!!!

2. pcguy

pcguy LawnSite Member

The advantages of a front mount mower is the ability to get close to and under things such as trees. I'll be honest, I have never heard they ride better or worse. Probably has to do with the ground.

3. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

The attachments is what sells the frount mount.

4. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

We have a front mount JD z trac and it rides better than our Woods mid mount ztr but the front mount rides a lot rougher than our new Frris IS 3000 with independent suspension. The Grasshopper min mounts should ride pretty good because they have in frame suspension.

5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I dunno.... but I'll tell ya, the diesel mid-mounts ride fantastic even without the suspension seats. Not sure how or why, but they do. What's wierd about it is you can almost get bucked totally off the mower and not feel the jolt you feel with other mowers.

But nothing beats the premium deluxe suspension seats. I hate that cordura seat anyways because it's a butt wetter. Get the one you want, yank that seat off and put on one of the nice suspension seats. Problem solved.

6. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Envy i'll tell you exactly why the grasshopper rides so good, because it has in frame suspension. The machine has two seperate frames. The main mower frame and the operator station frame. The operators platform frame is mounted to the main mower frame and it sits on rubber blocks. Thats what they call in frame suspension. Thats what a grasshopper rep told me a while back.

7. spoolinaround

spoolinaround LawnSite Senior Member

after cutting 13 acres of the nastiest bumpiest grass on wendsday with a 721 my back is still killing me, about 4 hours into the place I dropped the drive tire pressure to about 7-8 psi and it didnt help much..... but with 1720 hours on it she is about due for a new seat.. I replaced the rubber blocks on ours yesterday with 2½" thick sponge neoprene

8. OH-grasshopperlover

OH-grasshopperlover LawnSite Member

Just my two cents here, we run a 928 and 722, both front mounts and diesel. I wouldn't cut with any other mower. This is my first post! Thanks for all of the information on this site! :)

9. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Just wanting to know a little more why you feel this way. Is it the fact that you can trim under fences or trees, the ride, etc? I test drove one and it seemed to ride rough with a supension seat but they may have had too much air in the tires or somthing.

10. OH-grasshopperlover

OH-grasshopperlover LawnSite Member

We have a couple clients that have numerous fences and trees, it really cuts down on the trimmer time. It is a bumpy ride though on occasion. I've always preferred front mount decks. I used to run a mid mount Scag and didn't like it. The 928 is really good on hills with considerable grades especially with the lift deck.