GRASSHOPPER owners please advise

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dogdad, Mar 12, 2003.

1. dogdad

dogdad LawnSite Member

I am looking at the Grasshopper 225 or the gravely p152. If you have a GRASSHOPPER,,,have you been happy with it. Any problems? I am already a Gravely owner.
  2. Outback Designz

Outback Designz LawnSite Member

I use to work with a friend that used grasshopper and I loved the cut it left. No stripes though. Bagging system was like a vacum, did nice job. They just traded a toro to go back with grasshopper. The mowers never had any major problems I can remember. Just typical stuff. Hopes this helps.
  3. jkelton

jkelton LawnSite Member

My father has been a Grasshopper dealer for several years (13~14 years I think). In my opinion, the 225 w/61" deck is the best all around machine they have come out with - very few problems. A well designed, well built peice of equipment.
  4. gusndemboyz

gusndemboyz LawnSite Member

We run 2- grasshoppers, a 721D frontmount and a 321D midmount. No major problems. Loose bolts on 721D trailing wheels and a blade engage switch on the 321D.
  5. GraZZmaZter

GraZZmaZter LawnSite Senior Member

We run a 721D and a 225 mid mount. The 721D has had several problems from both trannys going out to clutches. The 225 has been a good reliable mower with few problems. Keep in mind that i bought these units used with a company i purchased. The 721D is about 6 years old with 2200 hrs, and the 225 3 years old with around 1200 hrs.
  6. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Can't comment on the midmounts, but I have 721. It was a pretty good mower when I bought it in 1994, but it's a little slow by today's standards. Of course the new stuff is much faster and more advanced.

My problem with Grasshopper was this. The company and local distributor left me out to dry a couple times and it really ticked me off. The machine was well built, but the support after the sale sucked. The distributor is key, and we just don't have a good one.
  7. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I've owned a 720K with 52" deck and a 725 G2 with a 52" deck. Both had transmission problems at around 1100 hours. Electric clutch problems with both also. I'll never buy another GH as long as I live. Get Toro, Exmark or Hustler, you won't be sorry.
  8. Keith

I notice you are in LiveOak (the distributor) territory :D You have any great stories to tell about them? I know I do :mad:
  9. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been flamed before for badmouthing Grasshopper on this board so I'll just keep my mouth shut for now. I would, however, love to hear your stories.
  10. Keith

Here is probably not the place to trash a distributor, I'll do it another time :D