grasshopper pump

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ss4, Mar 30, 2013.

1. ss4

ss4 LawnSite Member

I have a 610? grass hopper and the after it warms up the right side looses it power. drop to about 10%. I have replaced the filter and fluid level is topped off. also the belt and tension assembly are new. What else can I check?

2. ricky86

ricky86 LawnSite Bronze Member

Availability of a new pump.

3. ss4

ss4 LawnSite Member

it only does it once it warms up so worse in the summer than the winter. Are they rebuildable?

4. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

I can price you a new one if you list your serial number. Transmissions and pumps get "antiqued" alot and makes it impossible to get parts to rebuild them unless they still have old parts in stock..
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. TFLE

TFLE LawnSite Senior Member

I know the pump vs. wheel motor debate. I don't know the setup of a grasshopper I do know that I have a toro with I believe parker pumps and motors and one side was losing power when hot, I bought a new pump, still did it replaced the wheel motor, problem fixed. I would say you definitely have a internal problem in one of the two. I would get the pump tested before buying anything. If it's like the setup I had.

6. ss4

ss4 LawnSite Member

interesting thought. How do you check the pump pressure and what should it be.

also my model is a 616 but where is the serial number on the pump?

7. TFLE

TFLE LawnSite Senior Member

take it to a hydraulic shop...

8. ss4

ss4 LawnSite Member

seriously there is no way to test this thing and I am bound to a shop!