1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Grasshopper question

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Lawn Masters, Mar 17, 2006.

1. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

I thought I posted this earlier, but I guess it never did get there.

I'm looking at buying a late 90s grasshopper mower, I believe a model 725K, real clean unit, just needs the blades sharpened, and an oil change done. the owner is also the man that owns the storage place my boss keeps his trucks and chipper in. a great guy, I'm hoping I can get some advice on what to look at on this machine, idea of what its worth, and all that.

any help would be appreciated greatly. thanks in advance.
  2. Lawn Masters

Ok, more info on the mower, its a late 90's 725K with I believe a 48" deck, spindles are good, belts too, its got 1863 hours on it, needs a bit of cleaning, but its in great shape other than that.
  3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I am a Grasshopper dealer. That machine sure has a lot of hours on the engine. That Kohler has a rated life of about 2000hrs, so it could be getting close to needing an engine overhaul. It also probably has the old style Gemini drive system. I do not know how well the machine has been maintained, but I would say, with good maint., those trans. should go 3000hrs. With poor maint. , they could be at the end of their life. You are looking at $900.00/side for each transmission.
    If you can get that machine for under $2000.00, go for it. I would be careful of going more than that, unless you are sure of how it has been cared for.
    A qiuck test on the trans. can be done as follows. On a paved surface, nudge the mower up against a post of some kind. Then , at full throttle, move the travel levers full forward. Both tires should spin good and hard while pushing against that post. If they will not spin, or if seem the spin is kind of weak, walk away from that machine.
  4. Lawn Masters

Thanks mowingman. I'll go check it out when the owner gets back we'll talk about it, and go from there. I know its got a Kohler Vtwin motor on there, looks a bit beat cause of all the dirt on it, but other than that, its nice lookin.