grasshopper question

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by edgeman2003, Apr 4, 2008.

1. edgeman2003

edgeman2003 LawnSite Member
    from md

Im just starting out, Thinking about getting some equipment for mowing. I was checking out a new grasshopper zero turn midmount mower(model 223) with 52'' duramax deck. I want to make sure, will last at least five yrs or more? I will bre doing residential and small commercial lots. I checked with local dealer for this model, it was $7,400 and they had a demo w/100hrs for $6,900. Is this a fair price, or should I go else where? Im in Hagerstown,MD

2. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

For 7400,you could get a scag wildcat with a 26 lc kaw a super motor with a better cut.......

3. edgeman2003

from md

where do they sell this brand? I'm in hagerstown, md

4. edgeman2003

from md

so really my main concern is the maintain cost, reliability. I know with the grasshopper I have a dealer right down the street from me. Which comes with 2 yr warranty and if mower is down, they loan you one until yours is fixed.

5. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

I have ran grasshopper,to me the scag is a better mower,don't throw apples at me but itz true with scag you will never look back...

6. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

scag has a 3 year warranty........

7. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Grasshoppers are wonderful mowers. Very comfortable and cut really nice. You won't regret your decision. The 7400 seems a bit high but that could be right for your area. You won't go wrong with a grasshopper.

8. edgeman2003

from md

whats the most I should pay for the grasshopper 223 model, it has the 23hp kohler? they have the demo that has 100hr on it for $6900

9. edgeman2003

from md

the wildcat is like 2,000 more then the grasshopper. for only 3 more hp.
    www.bes-tex.com/products.php?kei=1081
    that just not in my range

10. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Those Grasshopper prices seem fair to me. That is about what we sold them for at my shop last year.
    If you take care of that Grasshopper, you can expect it to run a minimum of 2000hrs. with no major problems.
    I see older models at our shop that are 20+ years old, and still going strong.