Grasshopper question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by happyhopper23, Jul 26, 2011.

Tags:
  1. happyhopper23

happyhopper23 LawnSite Member
    from IN

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has had problems with the newer style Grasshopper frontmounts losing traction on a slight hill and leaving a rut, so to speak. This normally happens when I have to stop in front of a tree, back up and then move around the tree. The wheel facing the slope will sometimes spin and dig into the dirt. I am not going full throttle on that tire, most of the time I will not even give 1/4 throttle on that tire. Thanks in advance!

2. happyhopper23

from IN

Anybody have any ideas?

3. monoshock

monoshock LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 721D Grasshopper. I guess it depends on a lot of things, like how steep is the incline, tire pressure and others things.

4. mathews

mathews LawnSite Member

I have a 928d and it took a lil while go get used to it on slopes especially in the mornings (due to moisture.) anyways Ull figure it out, sometimes I have to bump the deck lift button jus to put more weight on the drive tires. And less throttle the better once that tire starts spinning jus stop n ease up the hill so you aren't spinning to the top
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Jimslawncareservice

Jimslawncareservice LawnSite Platinum Member
    from mn

What tires do you have on there? I demoed one with turf tires. I hated it for the same reason. Put lug tires on and made a big difference.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. happyhopper23

from IN

I use the low pressure bar tread tires. I mow across the slope. I also apply very little power when going around the trees to try and not do that.

7. alanauer

alanauer LawnSite Member

I think G'hopper offers a traction device that converts some deck weight to the wheels, but with any zero-turn you trade agility for traction.

In my first season I spun wheels twice as often as I do now. Either the learning curve with these things is considerably shallower than I expected or I've put on a lot of weight.