Grasshopper-scag-operator

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bettern'goats, Jul 25, 2002.

1. bettern'goats

bettern'goats LawnSite Member

I got a problem. I hired a guy whose been riding Grasshoppers for 2 years now. We use Scag Turf Tigers. He's complaining the belly mount mower i.e. "THE SCAG" is inferior to the front deck mowers, and that's the reason some of my lawns are getting scalped down to bare earth. The problem only happens on ditches, uneven ground and such. Please advise.........also, new guy says grasshopper never used to leave grass clippings on customers lawns. The turf tiger is only 5 months old.

2. dr grass

dr grass Banned

id tell that guy to learn how to cut grass before he picks apart your equipment. scag is a way better mower than those out-front deck grasshoppers. their sluggish on hills. even on a slight uphill slope those things bog down and crawls up the hill like a slug. your guy has to get handier with the desk adjustment. when he sees uneven terrain coming up in the lawn he has to lift the deck up slightly to clear the spot. whaallllaaa! ! no more scalped lawns. pretty simple stuff were doing here. your worker makes it sound like brain surgery. tell him to use some common sence.

Later ..

Shep :D

3. Oliver1850

Oliver1850 LawnSite Member

He is smoking!

One of my customers has a really bad septic field that is mounded. With my Lazer Z going across the mounds I scalp real bad.

With my Tiger Cub, it has never scalped. The Advantage deck does not have front, center mounted anti-scalp rollers for this reason. The Turf Tigers do because of the longer wheel base.

The shorter wheel base on the Tiger Cub makes a big difference. The Laser Z and Turf Tigers share a common, longer wheel base design, thus more prone to scalping.

By putting the deck out in front, there is no suspension to flow with the terrain other than the deck rollers.

4. HOWARD JONES

HOWARD JONES LawnSite Member

I think you're going to have to observe the scalping when it happens to find out what is doing it - he may actually be doing something like going across the ditch instead of with it, since the outfront decks do pivot rather than "float".

5. longviewlawncare

longviewlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

tigers are better than grasshoppers. you go and mow one day the same place that scalps and see if ti happens to you. if not then you know it is him. And if he can't mow right hand him a trimmer and let it be.

6. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I guess your anti scalp rollers are in the far down position??
    I guess your mowing high enough for the conditions to minimize this scalping?
    I guess you know you can always tell him to get used to it or get a life...
    I guess.....

7. Ax Man

Ax Man LawnSite Senior Member

I've run both types of machines, and would guess he's going in at the wrong angle. It does take a little comon sense to mow.
    If the mower scalps one time in a certain type of terrain, you should be able to guess that it will again.

I worked with a guy once who loved the way the last guy he worked for did things.
    It was all he ever talked about.
    I never saw an improvement in his technique with the tools I had, and wonderd why he left his old boss.
    I'm sure he's still bragging to someone about how good his last job was compared to the current one, and I bet also that he's had plenty of them to judge from.

Good luck!

8. Stan's Customs

Stan's Customs LawnSite Member

I don't know the answer to your guys scalping problem. But I do know something about out front mowers....and they don't bog going up hill. Hell I I could push a car with mine ...easily! I often nudge heavy obstacles like phone poles...boat trailers...you name it, to mow close too, or get around. Mine is a 18 hp Woods Mow'n Machine...almost a Grasshopper clone..in fact Grasshopper makes the deck for my old model mower.

I just bought another one in better shape (like new) I liked the old one so much. I've never owned a Skag...but I don't see how one could be any better than a Grasshopper. Trimming is super easy with the out front deck...simple to push up under hedges, slopes etc. I know you can't do what I do on a mower if you are sitting on top of the deck.....and it is very nimble around trees. One pass no grass within 1/4 "...

Maybe Shags etc. are all that nimble I couldn't say.....but I do know know about the out front mowers, I've got several thousand hours riding one of 'em. Repowered my old one twice and workin' on wearing out another one.

Chances are your man would skalp with anything though...got to be brighter than lawnmower blade and be careful on some terrain..

9. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

There is definately nothing wrong with out front Grasshoppers. Nothing wrong with the Scag either. They are just different machines and when you learn on one sometimes its hard to adjust to the other. The part about Grasshoppers never leaving clippings is bull though. And I watch the LCO's with Grasshoppers and they do leave clippings but overall good cut. All mowers will leave clippings in the right conditions and I've heard of more clogging clumping issues with the Grasshopper deck than most. I live where Grasshoppers are very popular and they do a great job but so do the Scags that are popular here also. He (the employee) just needs to learn how to adjust. You can get a Grasshopper with as much power as you want, most run diesels here.

10. fastcutter

fastcutter LawnSite Member
    from west tn

Grasshopper is the only way to go. Running them for 15 years now. I try them all...

:usflag: