1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Grasshopper spindle bolt broke?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ProfessionalTouch, Apr 21, 2005.

1. ProfessionalTouch

ProfessionalTouch LawnSite Member

Has this ever happened to anyone else.The bolt broke while running the blades.This is the second year running doubles.I was able to get the remaining bolt out.What would cause this.Is their anything i should check, or should i just put another bolt in and go?
    Any info thanks
  2. seven-up

seven-up LawnSite Member
    from la

i think you answered both of your questions. the doubles probably contributed to this somewhat. could have been a weak bolt. never happened to me before on my GH. might wanna see what ur dealer has to say, could give u some good insight as well.

3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

If you run doubles, did you put in a longer bolt so you have plenty of bolt threads up in the spindle? If not, that is likely your problem. The extra blade leaves too much of the original bolt hanging out below the bottom of the spindle.
  4. ProfessionalTouch

ProfessionalTouch LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help,I put in a longer bolt.
  5. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I'm assuming that you are using the fiber washers. These will help the blade absorb an impact.