grasshopper stripes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by newblade, Jan 5, 2006.

1. newblade

newblade LawnSite Member

Does anyone make good looking stripes with a grasshopper?

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

We have purchased a new 220 and a front mount 725 new, they never stripe that good cut was okay we took the rubber flap off, the 1 behind the deck and replaced it with a thicker 1 this helped.
  3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I have some friends that have Grasshoppers. They all lay awesome stripes! Sorry, no pics... They all have front deck machines.

I demoed a midmount and it didn't lay a stripe at all, didn't really have enough lift to pick up and cut the grass it was going over... I know another guy that has a midmount and his is the same way!

It's really strange because they all have the SAME decks and same width with the same blowers and catchers. Something is being lost in the shuffle when they made the midmounts if you ask me. It's like the power transfer to the deck isn't the same at all with the belt drive as it was with the shaft drive.

Biggest problem with the front mounts is hills. Because there is 2 more wheels there is that much less weight on the drive wheels, thus less traction. Plus they are LONGER and hard to fit on a small trailer.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

local dealer here sells the front mount for being more stabil on hills, the front's are huge no really practical for mowing, you need a 5th wheel to haul 2 or 3 units for big areas.
  5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

HA! Stable? maybe because they are incapable of climbing or holding a slope that could be a hazzard! The operator position is certianly low to the ground, and with the deck being outfront it's nice for getting under stuff. The pros just don't outweigh the cons for me (reguarding outfront mowers).

My friend has 2 52" grasshoppers he carries on a 16' trailer along with a Troybilt 33" and a 21" + trimmers & edgers. He has to put them on at an angle just a certian way to get them to fit but it can be done...

I have ran a 72" with the 21 hp turbomax deisel and I really liked the machine! It's so effortless to operate it's like sitting on your couch watching the scenery go by! The 21hp is kinda underpowered for that deck though. If you have to tackle anything deeper than weekly mowing it needs more power.
  6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I've always wanted to spend like atleast a week on a Grasshopper frountmount demo. I've seen one on one occasion doing pretty well on a hill. Yeah, they are huge, but they are not bad on size in their arena. The power fold decks really save on trailer space and cut the need for a 5th wheel although tag-along trailers don't pull as well.

The funny thing I have found out about these mowers is that we think they are monsterous in size. But actually, the customers percieve them being smaller than the same size cut mid-mount. I guess their layout isn't nearly as imposing from the front poarch view.

As for the midmounts... I really like them.
    Yes, they stripe great if they are set up right.
  7. I ran the front mounts for several years, never did have any problrms on hills actually on a hill they perform better than a midmount you can stop, turn backup. I've found midmouts climb very well, will climb a telephone pole if you want but you better watch coming down a hill cause you don't know where you might end up. The midmounts will stripe with the best of them.
  8. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

I use a 223/52 and actually like the idea that the unit does not mat down the grass to get it's stripes. The stripes that my unit leaves are not as defined as on some other units, but i find that when you are done there is no hint that a big machine was on the lawn. Stripping is done very little here, but it is done, and some stripes are longer lasting than others. It is mostly seen on commercial accounts and a few of the larger residential ones. :waving: